Nausea and Vomiting - Causes

What was the cause of your nausea and vomiting?

What causes nausea or vomiting?

There are numerous causes of nausea and vomiting. These symptoms may be due to the following:

• Acute gastritis (direct irritation of the stomach lining)
  • Central causes in which signals from the brain cause nausea and vomiting
  • Other illnesses not due to stomach problems
  • Medications and medical treatments
  • Mechanical obstruction of the bowel
Return to Nausea and Vomiting

Comment from: missconni, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I have been vomiting off and on for about 2 months. After I eat I feel over-full, and nauseous even if I don't eat that much. Some of the time the nausea can be calmed with milk, most times I vomit several times until I dry heave, then I throw up more, later. I told my doctor, he said it was because I was constipated. I don't think so. I do not have any pain in my stomach, or anywhere else. I wonder if I should go to the emergency room.

Comment from: Carmel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

With costochondritis I have very severe pain and tenderness in tissues across left breastbone into breast and out to the back of left breast; also underarm tenderness on left hand side. Tissue in this area feels sore to touch and very tender. I have quite a stabbing pain, severe at times. Almost inclined to take your breath away and sore when you take a breath.