Nausea and Vomiting - Causes

What was the cause of your nausea and vomiting?

What causes nausea or vomiting?

There are numerous causes of nausea and vomiting. These symptoms may be due to the following:

• Acute gastritis (direct irritation of the stomach lining)
  • Central causes in which signals from the brain cause nausea and vomiting
  • Other illnesses not due to stomach problems
  • Medications and medical treatments
  • Mechanical obstruction of the bowel
Return to Nausea and Vomiting

Comment from: Doug, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 01

I have been taking care of my mother for 14 months now, she has had 8 in. of her colon removed, and open heart surgery. She went in for nausea and vomiting, and she has been seen by over 200 doctors but no one knows what is wrong. They said they have run every test known to man, and cannot find anything wrong with her but she still can't keep anything down. We go to emergency room (ER) every other day, sometimes twice in one day. After looking at her tests that have been done, we have tried health food stores. We are at a loss and don't know what to do.

Comment from: romy b., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 05

On December 25th, I vomited early in the morning after eating a grilled fish that was grilled a day before. All food that I take went out. I vomited for 2 days; until I realized eating the grilled fish caused it. I filled dizzy until now.