Nausea and Vomiting - Causes

What was the cause of your nausea and vomiting?

What causes nausea or vomiting?

There are numerous causes of nausea and vomiting. These symptoms may be due to the following:

• Acute gastritis (direct irritation of the stomach lining)
  • Central causes in which signals from the brain cause nausea and vomiting
  • Other illnesses not due to stomach problems
  • Medications and medical treatments
  • Mechanical obstruction of the bowel
Return to Nausea and Vomiting

Comment from: Carmel, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

With costochondritis I have very severe pain and tenderness in tissues across left breastbone into breast and out to the back of left breast; also underarm tenderness on left hand side. Tissue in this area feels sore to touch and very tender. I have quite a stabbing pain, severe at times. Almost inclined to take your breath away and sore when you take a breath.

Comment from: eva, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

I was diagnosed with rheumatic fever at 34 by an Indian doctor who has seen cases like mine in children in India. I have had excruciating pain in my joints for more than a month but the doctors did not suspect it because it was unusual for my age. I was put on penicillin for 5 years. My problem is that even 9 years later I get pain in my joints and some chest pain several times a year; usually when the weather changes. Doctors tell me that rheumatic fever does not have this effect but the pain is pretty real.