Nausea and Vomiting - Causes

What was the cause of your nausea and vomiting?

What causes nausea or vomiting?

There are numerous causes of nausea and vomiting. These symptoms may be due to the following:

• Acute gastritis (direct irritation of the stomach lining)
  • Central causes in which signals from the brain cause nausea and vomiting
  • Other illnesses not due to stomach problems
  • Medications and medical treatments
  • Mechanical obstruction of the bowel
Return to Nausea and Vomiting

Comment from: shanleesat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

For about a year I have been waking up in the morning and immediately nauseous and then start vomiting. It only happens every four to six weeks and lasts for 3-4 days. I have gone to the E.R. for dehydration several times, and my regular m.d. is aware so he sent me to the stomach Dr. and they did find a hiatal hernia. I am currently taking medication for it daily, although still nauseated and vomiting every four to six weeks like clockwork. I am very tired of this and am desperate to find answers.

Comment from: eartheart, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

I been having horrible nausea and vomiting since I started taking medication to prevent HIV infection (post exposure prophylaxis) and unwanted pregnancy. I am worried the medication will not go into effect if I keep vomiting like this. I really need advice on how to curb the vomiting.

Stay Informed!