(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What are the symptoms of typhoid fever?

The incubation period is usually one to two weeks, and the duration of the illness is about four to six weeks. The patient experiences

• poor appetite;
  • abdominal pain;
  • headaches;
  • generalized aches and pains;
  • fever, often up to 104 F;
  • lethargy (usually only if untreated);
  • intestinal bleeding or perforation (after two to three weeks of the disease);
  • diarrhea or constipation.

People with typhoid fever usually have a sustained fever as high as 103 F-104 F (39 C-40 C).

Chest congestion develops in many patients, and abdominal pain and discomfort are common. The fever becomes constant. Improvement occurs in the third and fourth week in those without complications. About 10% of patients have recurrent symptoms (relapse) after feeling better for one to two weeks. Relapses are actually more common in individuals treated with antibiotics.

Return to Typhoid Fever

Comment from: Nus, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I had typhoid fever 3 weeks ago. Doctors found it difficult to detect as they thought it was a bacterial infection of some kind. I went through 5 blood tests before they did the one specific for typhoid. Symptoms started with feeling very chilly suddenly towards the end of the day, and my condition worsened very quickly to barely being able to walk as I felt very close to passing out. Throughout the night my fever went very high, throwing up once with diarrhea continuing for 5 whole days. On the second day, the cramps started. The abdominal cramps were almost unbearable at times. It came usually after eating meals or drinking anything even water. Feeling very weak is definitely something to look for.

Comment from: Cloudlyn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I had my first episode of guttate psoriasis two years ago when I turned 20. Initially when I went to the emergency room (ER) I was told I had chicken pox and a form of strep throat. I was prescribed medications to help and was sent home. After about another two weeks my skin was getting worse and worse, and it was now covering most of my legs, butt, back, and arms. So I went back to the ER and they referred me to a specialist and after 5 minutes of looking at my skin, he said I have guttate psoriasis and gave me prednisone, two topical creams and Claritin D. For about three weeks I had to take the medicines every day and rub the lotion on affected areas. It finally started to go away but it took initially 3 months for my skin to appear normal again. Worst time of my life and my doctor has told me it could happen again since I get strep throat and bronchitis so often. But all in all it made me love my skin even more and realize I have to take care of it. Since then I have been eating healthier since I have found it helps and use Aveeno oatmeal body wash which helps with the itchiness and dryness of my skin.

Comment from: Shivamadu, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

I am suffering from typhoid. I have nausea, leg pain. I am taking cefixime and ofloxacin tablets, nimesulide and paracetamol tablets for the past 7 days, but still nausea and leg pain are there.