Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

Please select the black triangle:

What bowel preparation is needed for colonoscopy?

If the procedure is to be complete and accurate, the colon must be completely cleaned, and there are several colonoscopy preparations . Patients are given detailed instructions about the cleansing preparation. In general, this consists of drinking a large volume of a special cleansing solution or several days of a clear liquid diet and laxatives or enemas prior to the examination. These instructions should be followed exactly as prescribed or the procedure may be unsatisfactory (visualization of the lining of the colon may be obscured by residual stool), and it may have to be repeated, or a less accurate alternative test may be performed in its place.

Return to Colonoscopy

Comment from: macneill61, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I did away with all those preparations. I get a colonic the day before and just don"t eat till after my colonoscopy the next morning. I've been doing this for years with no problems.

Comment from: Alyssa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I was at my boyfriend's house and stepped on a piece of plastic that had two industrial size staples through it and it went about a half inch into my heel and caused the puncture wound.