Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

Please select the black square:

What bowel preparation is needed for colonoscopy?

If the procedure is to be complete and accurate, the colon must be completely cleaned, and there are several colonoscopy preparations . Patients are given detailed instructions about the cleansing preparation. In general, this consists of drinking a large volume of a special cleansing solution or several days of a clear liquid diet and laxatives or enemas prior to the examination. These instructions should be followed exactly as prescribed or the procedure may be unsatisfactory (visualization of the lining of the colon may be obscured by residual stool), and it may have to be repeated, or a less accurate alternative test may be performed in its place.

Return to Colonoscopy

Comment from: danpa, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

I am having a colonoscopy and endoscopy tomorrow and was given the preparation of 236 grams of Miralax to be mixed in two 32 oz bottles of Gatorade, 4 Dulcolax tablets, and 5 oz magnesium sulfate. I am to take the Dulcolax at 4 pm, drink one bottle of Gatorade mixture at 6 pm over an hour, and then the 5 oz of magnesium sulfate. The next morning at 6 am I am supposed to drink the other bottle of Gatorade mixture (the day of the test at 1 pm. My doctor told me to make sure I drink at least 64 oz of water every day and since my colonoscopy is on a Monday I should start eating only food that I could eat without teeth (i.e. mashed potatoes, pudding, Jell-O, and noodles in broth) on Thursday, Friday and Saturday with only clear liquids on Sunday and nothing after 10 am on Monday. He says that eliminates the awful diarrhea and you just have liquids expelling Sunday night and Monday morning. My problem is I have either hemorrhoids or a polyp or tumor block my anus and not even water can get through.

Comment from: Chase W., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I didn't experience a rash or even muscle aches. The only thing I felt was severe headaches that got even worse than migraines. They got so bad that they were debilitating and it hurt to even nod. One night I went to the hospital because it got so bad, and my blood pressure was 170/98 because of the pain. They did a tick panel and found Rocky Mountain spotted fever.