Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

Please select the white circle:

What bowel preparation is needed for colonoscopy?

If the procedure is to be complete and accurate, the colon must be completely cleaned, and there are several colonoscopy preparations . Patients are given detailed instructions about the cleansing preparation. In general, this consists of drinking a large volume of a special cleansing solution or several days of a clear liquid diet and laxatives or enemas prior to the examination. These instructions should be followed exactly as prescribed or the procedure may be unsatisfactory (visualization of the lining of the colon may be obscured by residual stool), and it may have to be repeated, or a less accurate alternative test may be performed in its place.

Return to Colonoscopy

Comment from: Mike, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

I read somewhere on the web that I could eat gummy bears before the colonoscopy exam because they digest. Wrong! I watched the screen and was awake during the exam and saw the little tiny yellow specks in my colon that the doctor had to wash away with water. I used a straw and had the liquid ice cold when I drank it for preparation. Keep the straw way back behind the taste buds. It was easy. One good news is at 52 they found no polyps. Good Luck with your test!

Comment from: frank, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I was fishing in Exmouth Gulf in Western Australia and got stung by a stingray in my left ankle. The barb went in about 2 inches and initially I thought it was a shark. There was heaps of blood so I got out of the water as soon as possible. It took about ten minutes to get back to camp and while boiling the Billy the pain was unlike any I ever had experienced. But as soon as I put my foot into hot water it eased. After about an hour I removed my foot from bucket and had a shave (fresh water was scarce so thought I would use it). Four days later we went into town and saw the doctor. They gave me antibiotics in a drip and next morning I drove home. I got there late and had more antibiotics in a drip. I had a week of pills since and they run out tomorrow. The wound is getting bigger and a little painful so will go back to the doctor in the morning. We'll see what happens.