Colonoscopy - Preparation

What steps did you take in preparation for your colonoscopy?

What bowel preparation is needed for colonoscopy?

If the procedure is to be complete and accurate, the colon must be completely cleaned, and there are several colonoscopy preparations . Patients are given detailed instructions about the cleansing preparation. In general, this consists of drinking a large volume of a special cleansing solution or several days of a clear liquid diet and laxatives or enemas prior to the examination. These instructions should be followed exactly as prescribed or the procedure may be unsatisfactory (visualization of the lining of the colon may be obscured by residual stool), and it may have to be repeated, or a less accurate alternative test may be performed in its place.

Return to Colonoscopy

Comment from: Toronto55, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I was prescribed Klean-Prep for my colonoscopy last month (December, 2013) but instead went with Purg-Odan, a generic substitute for Pico-Salax. Two 5 oz. glasses of the citrus tasting powder mixed with water (tip: refrigerate mixture for a few min. before chugging), then your choice of clears for the remainder of the preparation time - believe me, when volume is the thing, so is variety! While I checked with my doctor first about changing to Purg-Odan and it was given the thumbs up, the nurse confided they don't prescribe it as a rule because the milder version (Pico-Salax or Purg-Odan) doesn't work for everyone. Meaning - be your own best friend and reduce your heavy meat and carb intake for a couple/few days prior to this so it doesn't have to do so much heavy lifting and you'll spare yourself having to drink hideous volumes of the same mixture (no variety with Klean-Prep) then suffer the industrial-strength consequences. My "cleanse" was not the nightmare I'd read about and I opted to be sedated for the test itself so it was kind of a non-event. And now I am good for another 10 years without fear of the next one.

Comment from: macneill61, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 03

I did away with all those preparations. I get a colonic the day before and just don"t eat till after my colonoscopy the next morning. I've been doing this for years with no problems.