Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your pelvic inflammatory disease?

Please select the black square:

What is the treatment for pelvic inflammatory disease?

Your doctor or nurse will give you antibiotics to treat PID. Most of the time, at least two antibiotics are used that work against many different types of bacteria. You must take all of your antibiotics, even if your symptoms go away. This helps to make sure the infection is fully cured. See your doctor or nurse again two to three days after starting the antibiotics to make sure they are working.

Return to Pelvic Inflammatory Disease

Comment from: lonelygirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have been suffering from pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) for the past three months. I have been to the emergency room twice and both times, doctors missed it. I suffered from very irregular periods, pains in lower abdomen, loss of appetite, high temperature, back pain, shoulder pain, white thick clumps or discharge, pain during intercourse, and leg pain. I do not have a sexually transmitted disease, though I did suffer from a urinary tract infection (UTI) just before the PID symptoms started. I have been on Flagyl for 7 days and doxycyline for 21 days. Symptoms are still there although a little bit better.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I've been suffering pelvic pain for over 2 weeks now. We've been trying to conceive and after my missed period I was anticipating a positive pregnancy test. But no, obstetrician/gynecologist diagnosed pelvic inflammatory disease 5 days ago. Tests for chlamydia, gonorrhea, yeast, bacterial vaginosis and trich were negative. I've been prescribed doxycycline and metronidazole. After 5 days on the medicines, still no improvement and doctor has refused to change the prescription. He told me to follow up after the medicines are done. I'm really scared that I am not doing enough to contain this disease.