Pelvic Inflammatory Disease - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your pelvic inflammatory disease?

Please select the black square:

How is pelvic inflammatory disease treated?

PID can be cured with antibiotics (drugs that kill bacteria). Most of the time, at least 2 antibiotics are used that work against a wide range of bacteria. Your doctor will work with you to find the best treatment for you. You must take all your medicine, even if your symptoms go away. This helps to make sure your infection is fully cured. You should see your doctor again 2 to 3 days after starting treatment to make sure the antibiotics are working.

Without treatment, PID can lead to severe problems like infertility, ectopic pregnancy, and chronic pelvic pain.

Any damage done to your pelvic organs before you start treatment likely cannot be undone. Still, don't put off getting treatment. If you do, you may not be able to have children. If you think you may have PID, see a doctor right away.

Your doctor may suggest going into the hospital to treat your PID if you:

• Are very sick
  • Are pregnant
  • Don't respond to or cannot swallow pills. If this is the case, you will need intravenous (in the vein or IV) antibiotics.
  • Have an abscess (sore) in a Fallopian tube or ovary

If you still have symptoms or if the abscess doesn't go away after treatment, you may need surgery. Problems caused by PID, such as constant pelvic pain and scarring, are often hard to treat. But, sometimes they get better after surgery.

Return to Pelvic Inflammatory Disease

Comment from: TiffySis25, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I had been having abdominal pain for 2 years and constant UTIs and bladder infections so I went to the doctor and they said I had chlamydia and took meds for it and later the symptoms went away. About 2 months after they came back and they told me I just had a bladder infection. My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for the past 3 years and haven't been able to. They checked my thyroid and did some other blood tests and came up normal. I would just like to know if the abdominal pain and infections from PID can go away after it's been untreated because of all of the damage it has caused.

Comment from: lonelygirl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have been suffering from pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) for the past three months. I have been to the emergency room twice and both times, doctors missed it. I suffered from very irregular periods, pains in lower abdomen, loss of appetite, high temperature, back pain, shoulder pain, white thick clumps or discharge, pain during intercourse, and leg pain. I do not have a sexually transmitted disease, though I did suffer from a urinary tract infection (UTI) just before the PID symptoms started. I have been on Flagyl for 7 days and doxycyline for 21 days. Symptoms are still there although a little bit better.