Chronic Cough - Remedies

What remedies have been effective for your chronic cough?

Please select the black triangle:

Are there home remedies for chronic cough?

Chronic cough in adults can be treated with home remedies. Consult your doctor for the home remedies that might be best for you.

• Stay hydrated. Fluids can help thin secretions.
  • Gargle with hot saltwater to help cleanse the throat and rid it of mucus.
  • Elevate your head with extra pillows at night to ease a chronic dry cough.
  • Cough drops may soothe an irritated throat.
  • Do not smoke or use tobacco products.
  • Avoid inhaled irritants such as smoke, dust, or other pollutants.
  • Honey often can be an effective treatment for a persistent cough. Add honey to hot tea, or even grape juice.
  • Ginger, prepared as a tea, is often used to help reduce symptoms of chronic cough and clear the nasal passages.
  • Other herbs such as eucalyptus or mint are often used to relieve cough symptoms.
Return to Cough

Comment from: dlc110, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had a cough for 15 years that was unresponsive to any allergy asthma or reflux treatment. My cough was uncontrollable and violent triggered by singing, talking, standing up, eating and siting. I would have a choking coughing spell at least once every time I was in church. Anytime and every time I would eat something scratchy such as chips, peanuts etc. without fail the first bite taken would cause me to start coughing for at least 30 seconds . Every time I would talk on the phone my family new that eventually that I would start coughing so hard that they would just have to call me back. They were used to it. People would suggest different things to take they said might help and I would just say you don't understand I've tried everything and nothing helps. When I read about sensory neuropathic cough (nerve damage to throat) I cried for 20 minutes because finally after 15 years there was a diagnosis for what I had, and 10 mg amitryptiline was the cure. My life has changed dramatically my cough is 90 percent better I call it my miracle pill. Two months on the medicine reversed the nerve damage in my throat after all these years. Thank you doctors for your research thank you very much.

Comment from: 75 or over Female Published: May 17

I have had Pneumonia twice, chest x ray is normal now, however I have developed a chronic cough that starts with a tickling of the throat with a drainage that is different than before several times a day. I have to drink water and put a cough drop in my mouth to stop this. Sometimes it takes a few minutes to stop. I have an inhaler but it does not stop the cough. This is very irritating because I have to keep a cough drop in my mouth even to go shopping and sometimes even then I will start to cough. I have tried all kinds of allergy medicines but they do not work. I don't go out to eat any more because of this.