Chronic Cough - Remedies

What remedies have been effective for your chronic cough?

Please select the black square:

Are there home remedies for chronic cough?

Chronic cough in adults can sometimes be treated with home remedies. Consult your doctor for the home remedies that might be best for you.

• Stay hydrated. Fluids can help thin secretions.
  • Gargle with warm saltwater to help cleanse the throat and rid it of mucus.
  • Elevate your head with extra pillows at night to ease a chronic dry cough.
  • Cough drops may soothe an irritated throat.
  • Do not smoke or use tobacco products.
  • Avoid inhaled irritants such as smoke, dust, or other pollutants.
  • Honey often can be an effective treatment for a persistent cough. Add honey to hot tea, or even grape juice.
  • Ginger, prepared as a tea, is often used to help reduce symptoms of chronic cough and clear the nasal passages.
  • Other herbs such as eucalyptus or mint are often used to relieve cough symptoms.
Return to Cough

Comment from: JSAL, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I have had a persistent cough for 4 years. My doctor said I had acid reflux and allergies. I was prescribed omeprazole and allergy medication. I read up on acid reflux and followed that diet which helped out a little. But life was still terrible. I wanted to rule out lung cancer and throat cancer so I had to be persistent with doctor to rule those out. He only had my throat scoped and found nothing. I switched doctors. My new doctor ordered 2 tests to start; x-ray to check lungs and a (Helicobacter pylori) test. This checks for pylori infection in your stomach. It came back positive! I was given medication (a 10 day treatment plan) which I will start tomorrow. I have read up on this bacterial infection and it can cause a chronic cough. I will let you know in 11 days if this fixed my cough of 4 years. Hope this helps somebody.

Comment from: Steph, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have had my chronic cough for 6 years. I had all testing possible, changed blood pressure pills too. Nothing stopped the constant cough. People were worried. Then I went off all carbs. No bread, crackers, rice, pasta, potatoes, etc., just to try and get my weight down. Suddenly I noticed I had not coughed for over two weeks! Today I had a bun at lunch and exactly two hours later I was coughing again for an hour! To check it out I had another bun much later in the day and 2 hours later cough started again for one hour! I think I found the answer, it could be the wheat! Maybe you could try that. I miss the bread so that is why I had a bun today.