Chronic Cough - Remedies

What remedies have been effective for your chronic cough?

Are there home remedies for chronic cough?

Chronic cough in adults can sometimes be treated with home remedies. Consult your doctor for the home remedies that might be best for you.

• Stay hydrated. Fluids can help thin secretions.
  • Gargle with warm saltwater to help cleanse the throat and rid it of mucus.
  • Elevate your head with extra pillows at night to ease a chronic dry cough.
  • Cough drops may soothe an irritated throat.
  • Do not smoke or use tobacco products.
  • Avoid inhaled irritants such as smoke, dust, or other pollutants.
  • Honey often can be an effective treatment for a persistent cough. Add honey to hot tea, or even grape juice.
  • Ginger, prepared as a tea, is often used to help reduce symptoms of chronic cough and clear the nasal passages.
  • Other herbs such as eucalyptus or mint are often used to relieve cough symptoms.
Return to Cough (Chronic Cough)

Comment from: Wheatfreemama, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I developed an unexplained chronic cough followed by asthma which went on for about 3 years. After visiting doctors and many tests and a series of medications which were making me sicker I visited an acupuncturist who suggested getting off all wheat and white sugar, and like magic after just 2 days of this the constant cough was gone. After 10 days I saw significant changes in my appearance, breathing and sleep. I tested myself by eating 1 cracker and that night hacked for over an hour. I now listen to my body and read all labels. If I start coughing again I make note of what I ate and eliminate anything that seems to set me off. We need to eliminate all GMO fake, processed, garbage foods riddled with chemicals, preservatives and pesticides which are killing us.

Comment from: sarah, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

My child's symptoms of dehydration are high fever of 103 to 105 since Wednesday, sore throat with blisters, urinating very little, diarrhea since yesterday, shivering a lot, not eating, delirious at times, heart racing, dry mouth and thirsty nonstop!