Dry Mouth - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your dry mouth?

What is the treatment for dry mouth?

Those seeking treatment for dry mouth will most likely want something to provide comfort and relief. Treatment for dry mouth can be divided into the following three categories: saliva substitution, saliva stimulation, prevention of caries, and yeast (Candida) infection.

Saliva substitution: When selecting a mouthwash, the person must choose a product that doesn't contain alcohol, such as Biotene, for alcohol-based products will only cause further mouth dryness. There are many home remedies to help with dry mouth. These include drinking water more frequently throughout the day, especially while eating. Restricting caffeine intake and letting ice melt in the mouth will help the mouth remain as moist as possible. Humidifying the sleeping area and coating the lips with a balm or Vaseline are also helpful remedies.

Saliva stimulation: Chewing gum can help stimulate salivary flow, but it is important to remember not to use gum or candies that have sugar in them or the person will be placed at greater risk for developing cavities. Sugar-free lemon drops can be comforting in relieving dry mouth. Other remedies include medications that help increase salivary flow such as pilocarpine (Salagen) and cevimeline (Evoxac). These prescription medications are to be avoided by people with asthma or glaucoma. Artificial saliva substitutes and oral lubricants containing glycerin will provide help during eating and speaking. They won't cure xerostomia but will provide some relief.

Prevention of caries and Candida infection: Cavities, gingivitis, periodontal disease, and fungal infections are common complications of dry mouth. A dry oral environment makes plaque control more difficult, so meticulous oral care and hygiene becomes essential in preventing rampant caries, gingivitis, and periodontal disease. The affected individual should incorporate a low-sugar diet and begin daily use of fluoride treatments and antimicrobial rinses to combat the effects oral dryness has on the teeth and oral tissues. Prescription toothpastes that contain more fluoride, calcium, and phosphate will help protect and remineralize teeth where necessary. Frequent visits to the dentist are necessary to help manage these complications. Since people with dry mouth often develop fungal infections such as thrush (oral candidiasis), they may require topical antifungal treatment such as rinses and dissolving tablets. Dentures often harbor fungal infections, so they should be soaked daily in chlorhexidine or 1% bleach.

Return to Dry Mouth (Xerostomia)

Comment from: Been there, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I have had dry mouth syndrome for two and a half years, caused by radiation therapy. It is improving, but I have had all the symptoms: dry mouth, sores on all tissues, burned tongue, sore throat, earaches, swellings, inability to eat acids, spices, salt, mints, etc. I have tried most remedies, but these are the ones that have helped the most: X-Pur puts out a xylitol product in both gums and mints that are excellent. At night I put one in my mouth and it stimulates saliva for hours. The gum I don't chew, just let it sit in my mouth. It seems that just having an object in the mouth helps. Biotene gel helps also. But one thing I really suggest is to use a humidifier, especially in the winter when the heating is on. When I drive or fly for long periods, I use a mask to keep my moisture in. Good luck.

Comment from: LMA1986, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

For the past year, I have been trying to lose weight like crazy. I reduced the amount of bad foods and started bringing in healthier foods, such as eating egg whites and whole wheat toast for breakfast, broccoli for lunch, etc. I noticed that my weight was slowing going up. Over the past year, I have gained around 30 lb. and I am actually eating healthier and exercising more now than ever. I have noticed pain, especially on the right side of my neck, and there is also a bump there. I decided to mention this to my doctor and she had me get blood work done to check my thyroid, and an ultrasound. My doctor said that the blood work came back normal with my thyroid, but the ultrasound showed that I have multiple nodules on my thyroid and a possible cyst on the one side. I found this out back in October and was referred to an endocrinologist. My appointment isn't until December 10, so I have to sit and wonder exactly what it is. I was told that they would do a biopsy and possibly MRI to see how serious it is and then they will decide what to do from there. With my symptoms, I have experienced weight gain, feeling more tired than usual, memory problems, and period issues (being light or not on time).