Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with polycystic ovarian syndrome?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms of polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)?

PCOS's principal signs and symptoms are related to menstrual disturbances and elevated levels of male hormones (androgens). Menstrual disturbances can include delay of normal menstruation (primary amenorrhea), the presence of fewer than normal menstrual periods (oligomenorrhea), or the absence of menstruation for more than three months ( secondary amenorrhea ). Menstrual cycles may not be associated with ovulation (anovulatory cycles) and may result in heavy bleeding.

Symptoms related to elevated androgen levels include acne, excess hair growth on the body (hirsutism), and male-pattern hair loss.

Other PCOS signs and symptoms include:

• obesity and weight gain,
  • elevated insulin levels and insulin resistance,
  • oily skin,
  • dandruff,
  • infertility,
  • skin discolorations,
  • high cholesterol levels,
  • elevated blood pressure, and
  • multiple, small cysts in the ovaries.

Any of the above symptoms and signs may be absent in PCOS, with the exception of irregular or no menstrual periods. All women with PCOS will have irregular or no menstrual periods . Women who have PCOS do not regularly ovulate; that is, they do not release an egg every month. This is why they do not have regular periods and typically have difficulty conceiving.

Return to Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)

Comment from: recluse, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 07

I have had polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) since I was 12. At that time (1956) little was known about anything of women's problems. I was late in starting periods and developed a beard. No one knew what to do so I started shaving in college and have been shaving since. It was difficult to get pregnant. My 2 sons are 7 years apart. I am now experiencing pattern baldness. I always wear a hat. My advice: don't shave your facial hair, get it waxed. And remember you are still a beautiful woman.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am 53 and only had periods 1 to 3 times a year. I was able to conceive with fertility drugs. I had to have a hysterectomy at 24 due to multiple cysts on the ovaries. I have hair along my jaw and neck and my hair is thinning. I have suffered with depression and weight. Just recently I found out I am one step away from diabetes. What craziness this polycystic ovarian syndrome is! But like the previous posts, knowledge is empowerment. So I put this new knowledge to the test. Exercise is a must, and vitamins. We can conquer.