Sarcoidosis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with sarcoidosis?

What are symptoms of sarcoidosis?

Shortness of breath (dyspnea) and a cough that won't go away can be among the first symptoms of sarcoidosis. But sarcoidosis can also show up suddenly with the appearance of skin rashes. Red bumps (erythema nodosum) on the face, arms, or shins and inflammation of the eyes are also common symptoms.

It is not unusual, however, for sarcoidosis symptoms to be more general. Weight loss, fatigue, night sweats, fever, or just an overall feeling of ill health can also be clues to the disease.

Return to Sarcoidosis

Comment from: Glenn, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

It was in 1992 when I first had the symptoms of sarcoidosis uveitis. I had a skin biopsy and the results came back as positive for sarcoidosis. I went for various tests to see if the disease was affecting elsewhere but it proved that it was only my eyes. I still have problems to this day with my eyes flaring up where I cannot face artificial light or sunlight for a few hours. I am on a high dose of steroids at the moment as I recently had a flare up which stopped me from seeing out of my right eye for a period of two to three weeks. I am also on Maxidex steroid eye drops to keep the inflammation under control. I am a fit 50 year old who goes to the gym every day. As I said the only issue I have is my eyes.

Comment from: KMoore, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I have been to every kind of doctor there is. At first they thought I had lupus. Then recently I had an MRI of my brain and they found lesions. They thought it was multiple sclerosis. But both of those were ruled out. I just went to a rheumatologist because I have pain in almost all of my joints. I thought I had arthritis. But that was ruled out. But the doctor said that my ACE levels are high. But my chest x-rays were normal. He thinks that I may have sarcoidosis in my nervous system and wants me to have a biopsy of my nerves. I have night sweats, severe pain in my joints, numbness and tingling in my hands and legs and shortness of breath. I get bronchitis, sinusitis and pneumonia a lot, among other symptoms. But I am wondering if the lesions in my brain can be caused from Sarcoidosis.