Hepatitis C - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hepatitis C?

Please select the white circle:

What are the symptoms of hepatitis C infection?

About 75% of people have no symptoms when they first get hepatitis C infection. The remaining 25% may have

• fatigue,
  • loss of appetite,
  • muscle aches, or
  • fever.

Very few people experience hepatitis symptoms or signs such as dark urine, yellow eyes, or clay colored stools in acute or early infection. Over time, people with chronic infection may develop signs of liver inflammation. This is often the first suggestion that the infection may be present. Infected individuals may become easily fatigued or complain of nonspecific symptoms.

As cirrhosis develops, symptoms and signs increase and may include:

• Elevated liver enzymes in the blood
  • Weakness
  • Loss of appetite
  • Weight loss
  • Breast enlargement in men (gynecomastia)
  • Redness of the palms
  • Difficulty with the clotting of blood
  • Spider-like blood vessels on the skin
  • Abdominal pain
  • Clay colored stools
  • Bleeding from the esophagus
  • Fluid in the abdomen
  • Yellow skin and eyes (jaundice)
  • Confusion
  • Coma
Return to Hepatitis C (HCV, Hep C)

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

It was December 20th and I came home from Christmas shopping. I told my husband I had an earache and was going to bed. By the next morning he found me unresponsive and sideways on the bed. By the time the paramedics arrived they found me with 103 temperature and could not wake me and my blood pressure was dangerously high. I woke up on December 23rd with a PICC line and in the ICU with a diagnosis of strep/pneumococcal meningitis. I spent 8 days in the hospital and came home on the 28th with PICC line and outpatient antibiotics. The fast response of my husband kept me alive.

Comment from: Vinay, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

I purchased buttermilk from a nearby shop at 17: 00 and my family which includes my wife and son ate it with salad. I (and my son) had nausea next morning with vomiting at 10:30 hours. We thought it will be cured with time but we had vomiting in the evening and night. It took almost 4 days to cure the food positioning with medications like IV treatment.