(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What about mercury in fish?

Fish and shellfish are an important part of a healthy diet. Fish and shellfish contain high-quality protein and other essential nutrients, are low in saturated fat, and contain omega-3 fatty acids. A well-balanced diet that includes a variety of fish and shellfish can contribute to heart health and children's proper growth and development.

However, nearly all fish and shellfish contain traces of methylmercury. For most people, the risk from exposure to methylmercury by eating fish and shellfish is not a health concern. Yet some fish and shellfish contain higher levels of mercury that may harm an unborn baby or young child's developing nervous system. The risks from methlymercury in fish and shellfish depend on the amount of fish and shellfish eaten and the levels of methylmercury in the fish. Federal, state and local governments issue fish advisories when the fish are unsafe to eat.

Fish Consumption Advisories - This page provides links to extensive information on fish advisories, including advisories issued by state and local governments and by the EPA and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Fish Kids - This Web site uses interactive stories and games to teach kids ages 8-12 about contaminants in fish and fish advisories.

Return to Mercury Poisoning

Comment from: Bimini bum, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 10

I have sport fished all my life in the ocean. Recently I have caught marlin and tuna, including big eye and yellowfin. I had consumed pounds of raw Toro, smoked marlin and sushi prepared many ways during a two month period only to have my mercury levels go sky high to the point now where I need medical attention at once. I am noticing large muscle pain, and irritability in my system. Mercury levels are over 62. Normal range should be 2 to 10.