Brain Tumor - Symptoms

The symptoms of brain tumor can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

What are the symptoms of a brain tumor?

The symptoms of a brain tumor depend on tumor size, type, and location. Symptoms may be caused when a tumor presses on a nerve or harms a part of the brain. Also, they may be caused when a tumor blocks the fluid that flows through and around the brain, or when the brain swells because of the buildup of fluid.

These are the most common symptoms of brain tumors:

• Headaches (usually worse in the morning)
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Changes in speech, vision, or hearing
  • Problems balancing or walking
  • Changes in mood, personality, or ability to concentrate
  • Problems with memory
  • Muscle jerking or twitching (seizures or convulsions)
  • Numbness or tingling in the arms or legs

Most often, these symptoms are not due to a brain tumor. Another health problem could cause them. If you have any of these symptoms, you should tell your doctor so that problems can be diagnosed and treated.

Return to Brain Tumor

Comment from: Shivi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I"m 36 and got operated for brain stem benign tumor on January 18, 2014. That was just after a week I got to know that I was suffering from brain tumor. My symptoms were there for almost a year and they were throbbing pain, loss of balance, nausea, blindness and irritability. All these were for fractions of seconds. I could diagnose my problem by the help and advice of an eye surgeon. I profusely thank him for making me aware at the right time.

Comment from: positive, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

I started having vision problems that consisted of lightning strikes and black spots, loss of balance, loss of hearing on one side, facial numbness and swallowing difficulties. It took doctors nine months to agree to refer me to a specialist that found an inoperable benign tumor on my brain stem. I wasn"t given a favorable diagnosis and started using natural remedies, I have been lucky as it has been held at bay for the last seven years. Doctors are surprised and tell me to keep doing what I"m doing.