Ovarian Cysts - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your ovarian cysts?

Please select the black square:

HHow are ovarian cysts treated?

Most ovarian cysts in women of childbearing age are follicular or corpus luteum cysts (functional cysts) that disappear naturally in one to three months, although they can rupture and cause pain. They are benign and have no long-term medical consequence. They may be diagnosed coincidentally during a pelvic examination in women who do not have any related symptoms. All women have follicular cysts at some point that generally go unnoticed.

Ultrasound is useful to determine if the cyst is simple (just fluid with no solid tissue, suggesting a benign condition) or compound (with solid components that often required surgical resection).

In summary, the ideal treatment of ovarian cysts depends on what the cyst is likely to be. The woman's age, the size (and any change in size) of the cyst, and the cyst's appearance on ultrasound to help determine the treatment. Cysts that are functional are usually observed unless they rupture and cause significant bleeding, in which case, surgical treatment is required. Benign and malignant tumors require operation.

Treatment can consist of simple observation, or it can involve evaluating blood tests such as a CA-125 to help determine the potential for cancer (keeping in mind the many limitations of CA-125 testing described above).

The tumor can be surgically removed either with laparoscopy,, or if needed, an open abdominal incision (laparotomy) if it is causing severe pain, not resolving, or if it is suspicious in any way. Once the cyst is removed, the growth is sent to a pathologist who examines the tissue under a microscope to make the final diagnosis as to the type of cyst present.

Return to Ovarian Cysts

Comment from: T.C., 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 10

My jumpy heart, palpitations, dizziness, tiredness and fast heart rate, began all year long in 2015. I then went into the emergency room (ER) the first week in December and I was diagnosed with atrial flutter. I had been given a low dose calcium channel blocker. I then went another time and they increased the dose, along with a high blood pressure medicine and a blood thinner from two cardiologists. I finally had a catheter ablation (after three visits to the ER and medicines not working) on March 1st, 2016. Every day I feel much better.

Comment from: Bitten all over., 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I have found for the intense itching from chiggers that Benadryl gel applied to the affected area stops the itching immediately. After suffering with the intense itching and infected wounds I asked a friend to go to the pharmacy store at the end of my street to pick up some needful. I asked for Benadryl liquid that you take in your mouth and swallow, but she thought I wanted Benadryl gel that you apply on the affected area. I didn't know it existed. I tried it and the intense itching went away immediately. I hope you find this information valuable because I sure did.