Thrush - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with thrush?

Please select the black square:

What are thrush symptoms and signs?

Thrush is characterized by a white coating or white patches on the mouth, inner cheeks, tongue, and the back of the throat. The tissue under the white patches is often red, raw, and sore. The lesions can be painful and even bleed when you scrape them. Some of the general symptoms of thrush are as follows:

• Characteristic white patches
  • Cracking at the outer edges of the lips (cheilosis)
  • Dry mouth
  • Feeling of food stuck in the throat
  • Soreness in teeth
  • Strange or unpleasant taste in mouth
  • Bad breath

In severe cases of thrush, the esophagus, leading down to the stomach, may also be involved. This will cause pain with swallowing. If you have a weakened immune system (HIV/AIDS, cancer, chemotherapy, etc.), the Candida fungus can spread to other parts of the body and cause a systemic infection. If you have signs or symptoms of thrush and you develop a fever, shaking or chills, or difficulty swallowing, contact your doctor immediately.

Return to Thrush

Comment from: msni, Female (Caregiver) Published: March 13

I have had a coated tongue and very bad breath for years because of thrush. I have post nasal drip and severe allergic reactions to just about anything and everything. I take probiotics and vitamins daily. I also eat yogurt and drink kefir daily. But I still seem to have the same symptoms.

Comment from: Rob, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I had a sudden and severe sore throat one day such that it was hard to swallow or eat. It lessened in pain, but stayed sore three weeks, so I saw a doctor. He noted I"d been on antibiotics for a stomach infection and said that probably weakened my immunity to thrush. My tongue has been pretty coated lately too. I"m taking fluconazole 150 mg daily for 7 days. Doctor said that would take care of it. We shall see. Funniest thing about it: on the prescription, my gender was female. Fluconazole is used for yeast infections in women, but also for thrush. I didn"t know anyone could get that. Anyway, I'm hoping for the best. Good luck for a speedy recovery to the rest of you.

Stay Informed!