Rosacea - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with rosacea?

Please select the black square:

What are rosacea symptoms and signs?

Typical signs and symptoms of rosacea include

• facial flushing,
  • blushing,
  • skin redness,
  • burning,
  • red bumps,
  • small cysts.

The symptoms tend to come and go. The skin may be clear for weeks, months, or years and then erupt again. Rosacea tends to evolve in stages and typically causes inflammation of the skin of the face, particularly the forehead, cheeks, nose, and chin.

When rosacea first develops, it may appear, then disappear, and then reappear. However, the skin may fail to return to its normal color, and the enlarged blood vessels and pimples arrive in time. Rosacea rarely resolves spontaneously.

Rosacea generally lasts for years, and if untreated, it tends to gradually worsen.

Return to Rosacea

Comment from: ABJ, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was diagnosed with rosacea 9 years ago. I have seen 3 different dermatologists in my quest to keep my skin clear, and still see two of those. Here are some therapies that have worked for me: Metrogel and Metrocream work for me to reduce papules and pustules. It's not so great for the background redness. Intense pulsed light (IPL) administered by the knowledgeable aesthetician at my dermatologist's office is very good at clearing rosacea for a month or two, but repeats are needed. Low dose Claravis (Accutane) 10 milligram capsule twice a week for a month or two has a very good clearance of itching, papules and pustule, and redness for me. If you have oily skin along with the rosacea, it will help with that also. Just got a couple of samples of Soolantra, the new topical ivermectin cream from my dermatologist. It is doing a super job clearing the acne-like lesions and the itching at the jawbone and on the face near my ears. Cliradex eyelid wipes containing the active ingredient in tea tree oil, 4-Terpineol, have worked wonders on my itchy blepharitis and meibomian gland dysfunction. I get them at my ophthalmologist's office. The wipes can also can folded over and used on the face. I've been using these on my eyelids and on my face before bed. Sodium sulfacetamide (10 percent) and sulfur (5 percent) facial wash for acne, rosacea, and/or seborrheic dermatitis works to clear your skin, without being too harsh. I use Calming Zinc cleansing bar when my skin gets too sensitive, I really like it. Naturally, I don't currently use all these products together! Currently, I use the Cliradex wipes about every other day at bedtime and the Soolantra applied sparingly during the day.

Comment from: Sonja, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 13

I started having symptoms of unusually high levels of bloating, and unable to put my rings on. I also noticed right-sided pain at times in my gallbladder area. I have been tired, and lately have been waking up at night with numbness and tingling in my arms. I have been taking multi-vitamins and vitamin D3 supplements, so I had no idea that I was potassium deficient. I finally went to the doctor after I was gaining weight rapidly, and my stomach looked like I was 5 months pregnant. I also noticed that my heart rate was much higher than normal throughout the day. I wear an Apple watch, and it monitors it frequently. After I went to the doctor, he thought my symptoms were due to irritable bowel syndrome. I got my blood work done, and it showed that my potassium was low and I had hypokalemia. I am still waiting to see how he will manage that, but I did find potassium supplements to take, and I will drink Smart water. Hopefully my doctor will find out what is causing the low potassium.