Fainting (Syncope) - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your fainting?

What is the treatment for fainting (syncope)?

Fainting is not normal, although the cause may not be serious. When in doubt, calling 911, activating the emergency medical system, and seeking medical care is appropriate. It is always appropriate to seek medical care.

If the episode is short-lived and the person returns to normal function with no evidence of injury, it may be appropriate to contact the primary care practitioner to discuss care options.

If the person is not breathing and no pulse can be felt, 911 should be activated, an AED placed, and bystander CPR should be initiated.

In the ambulance, hospital, or doctor's office, because the potential life-threatening causes of syncope need to be initially considered; often a patient who complains of fainting (syncope) will be placed on a heart monitor, have an intravenous line placed, and oxygen supplied. A fingerstick blood sugar may be checked to look for hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).

Further treatment will be tailored to the specific cause of the fainting or syncope based upon the patient's evaluation.

Return to Fainting (Syncope)

Comment from: DMW, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 13

Water has been effective. My first fainting episode happened while urinating and landed me on a concrete floor exploding a vessel that was repaired. Second time was the same thing; urinating. Both were from dehydration. So I use water in between coffee and unsweet tea for drinks. First episode I drank beer only. I'll stick to the water intake method unless it happens again.

Comment from: Coloeado, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 23

I fainted four different times. I saw a doctor and shared that I took 5000 units of vitamin D. I took myself off it and no more fainting. He shared the same thing had happened to him!