Ulcerative Colitis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your ulcerative colitis?

Please select the white circle:

What are the Treatments for Ulcerative Colitis?

Both medications and surgery have been used to treat ulcerative colitis. However, surgery is reserved for those with severe inflammation and life-threatening complications. There is no medication that can cure ulcerative colitis. Patients with ulcerative colitis will typically experience periods of relapse (worsening of inflammation) followed by periods of remission (resolution of inflammation) lasting months to years. During relapses, symptoms of abdominal pain, diarrhea, and rectal bleeding worsen. During remissions, these symptoms subside. Remissions usually occur because of treatment with medications or surgery, but occasionally they occur spontaneously, that is, without any treatment.

Return to Ulcerative Colitis

Comment from: knoedel64, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

Hi, I have had UC since the age of 24 and I am now 48. There was a series of medications they gave me, until I was given Asacol about 9 years ago and that works for me. I have only had 2 or 3 flare ups since and I can eat everything. If I have a flare up I am treated with Antibiotics and Steroids for a couple of weeks and that takes care of the problem. Unfortunately my daughter, who is 21 now has UC also and I just spent the night at the ER with her. She is given the same treatment and medications and we will see if that helps her too. There was a time I didn't think I was ever going to get better and I was so relieved to have a normal life after Asacol was prescribed.

Comment from: Michiana, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I am 52 now, I feel great and have no active disease. My colitis symptoms began at age 23 along with lactose intolerance. I had a severe attack at age 29 and was diagnosed with UC (ulcerative colitis). My second major attack was at age 37 shortly before I was married. I was put on Prednisone and sulfa (found out I am ALLERGIC to it) to put me into remission. I took Dipentum for a number of years, then Asacol (4 TID - thrice daily - initially). My symptoms improved six years later and I was able to cut the Asacol to 2 BID (twice daily). I also consulted a dietician/herbal nutritionist who suggested a good probiotic (Solaray Multidophilus 3 billion, 2 capsules with a glass of water twice a day, an hour before breakfast and at bedtime) to build up my immune system, and fish oil (now use Minami Platinum 1 BID with meals) to reduce inflammation. I was also told to find ways to relax (which heals mind and body). Yoga and occasional massage helped as did getting daily exercise I do brisk walking 30 minutes most days. It took 2-3 years to get myself healed and healthy, though I am still 60 lbs overweight from Prednisone. The probiotics healed my gut and I'm no longer lactose intolerant! I will switch to Delzicol (2 BID) when my supply of Asacol runs out. I still take probiotics (just 2 at bedtime now) and fish oil, do 30 minutes of yoga twice a week and walk 4-5 days a week, have an hour-long massage once a month and try to eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and enough protein; I omit grains and starch. Also, I try to drink half my body weight in ounces of water every day (a 150-lb person would need 75 oz water, more if perspiring a lot from hot weather or exercise).