Ulcerative Colitis - Treatments

What treatment has been effective for your ulcerative colitis?

What are the Treatments for Ulcerative Colitis?

Both medications and surgery have been used to treat ulcerative colitis. However, surgery is reserved for those with severe inflammation and life-threatening complications. There is no medication that can cure ulcerative colitis. Patients with ulcerative colitis will typically experience periods of relapse (worsening of inflammation) followed by periods of remission (resolution of inflammation) lasting months to years. During relapses, symptoms of abdominal pain, diarrhea, and rectal bleeding worsen. During remissions, these symptoms subside. Remissions usually occur because of treatment with medications or surgery, but occasionally they occur spontaneously, that is, without any treatment.

Return to Ulcerative Colitis

Comment from: M Parker, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I am 45 years old and have had mild ulcerative colitis for 15 years. I have always taken Asacol 800 mg tablets, 1 or two a day. My new gastroenterologist tells me I should stop the medications as he feels there is no need to take them. I'm hesitant, as other doctors always seemed to feel I need them.

Comment from: Sylvie Lalonde, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I have had ulcerative colitis (UC) for a number of years now and I have been on everything, Asacol, prednisone, Remicade, Imuran, etc. My cousin told me one day that a woman who had the same disease wrote a book on how to cure UC. I tried the special diet and since then, I feel so much better.