Baker Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?

Please select the white circle:

How is a Baker cyst treated?

Baker cysts often resolve with aspiration (removal) of excess knee fluid in conjunction with cortisone injection. Medications are sometimes given to relieve pain and inflammation.

When cartilage tears or other internal knee problems are associated, surgery can be the best treatment option. During a surgical operation, the surgeon can remove the swollen tissue (synovium) that leads to the cyst formation. This is most commonly done with arthroscopic surgery.

Return to Baker Cyst

Comment from: Need a knee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had a Bakers cyst for 3 years. I'm a golfer and I work out at least 3 days a week. The Baker's cyst really ends your activity. My chiropractor set my knee every week; also he used cold therapy laser treatment! It rid me of the cyst for a good year. Just recently it reared its ugly head again. It has been a week with chiropractor and almost walking normal!

Comment from: maryann, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I had a Baker's cyst prior to total knee replacement that didn"t bother me at all. I felt the lump but it didn"t hurt or affect the bending of the knee. Since having a total knee replacement (TKR) for it, the Baker's cyst fills up almost monthly, doesn"t hurt particularly but makes bending the knee difficult because the entire knee swells up. In addition, it appears as if the cyst burst once and blood filled the knee joint and the cyst. It continues to fill almost monthly and I"m not sure if it is blood each time or synovial fluid. No one seems to be able to give me that answer. The bottom line: having TKR does not guarantee that the Baker's cyst will be fixed. It could get worse as it has in my case. TKR should be done only if the pain in the knee from osteoarthritis is unbearable, not to fix the cyst.