Baker Cyst - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your Baker's cyst?

Please select the white circle:

How is a Baker cyst treated?

Baker cysts often resolve with aspiration (removal) of excess knee fluid in conjunction with cortisone injection. Medications are sometimes given to relieve pain and inflammation.

When cartilage tears or other internal knee problems are associated, surgery can be the best treatment option. During a surgical operation, the surgeon can remove the swollen tissue (synovium) that leads to the cyst formation. This is most commonly done with arthroscopic surgery.

Return to Baker Cyst

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

Last week, I was peeling potatoes at the kitchen island, was hit with the most excruciating pain in my left knee, and could not stand or put any weight on it for three days. I was taken to the hospital by paramedics and was in the emergency room 8 hours and then I was admitted. On having an MRI on both knees five years ago I was diagnosed with a ganglion cyst and a Baker's cyst in my left knee; I just knew one of those cyst had burst as the pain was behind my left knee and down my calf. I was in the hospital two days, so now I am home recuperating. I do not feel the doctor, who treated me could know or imagine the pain one feels when these cysts rupture, as they tried to walk me immediately. I could not stand, bend my leg nor put any weight on it. They will be doing in-home therapy and my left knee will be replaced this year. Both cysts are now gone. Trust they will never return.

Comment from: Nosurrender, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I recently awoke with a very painful knot behind my knee, with pain running down my calf. I thought maybe a DVT (deep vein thrombosis), but was diagnosed with a Baker's cyst. I was told nothing could be done, except to maybe aspirate it. It apparently ruptured, as the knot is gone, my calf is green and bruised looking, and the calf pain is incredible. My doctor told me that continued activity will help speed the re absorption of the fluid in my calf, so I take ibuprofen and push through. The one thing that I have found that truly makes a difference is an exercise called Piyo. It's a more dynamic form of yoga. The deep stretches and strengthening of the muscles supporting my knee bring me more pain relief than any of the other suggested treatments that I've tried. Also, drinking lots of water seems to help in flushing out the drainage in my calf muscle.