Melanoma (Skin Cancer) - Symptoms

What did your melanoma look like when you first noticed it? What was the size of the growth?

What does melanoma look like? What are melanoma symptoms and signs?

Guideline # 3: A changing spot may be a problem, but not every change means cancer. A mole may appear and then get bigger or become raised but still be only a mole. It is normal for many moles to start flat and dark, become raised and dark, and then later lose much of their color. This process takes many years.

Most public-health information about melanoma stresses the so-called ABCDEs:

• Asymmetry: One half of the mole is different from the other half.
  • Border irregularity: The spot has borders which are not smooth and regular but uneven or notched.
  • Color: The spot has several colors in an irregular pattern or is a very different color than the rest of one's moles.
  • Diameter: The spot is larger than the size of a pencil eraser (6 mm).
  • Evolving: The mole is changing in size, shape, color, or overall texture. This may also include new bleeding.

These guidelines are somewhat helpful, but the problem is that many normal moles are not completely symmetrical in their shape or color. This means that many spots, which seem to have one or more of the ABCDEs, are in fact just ordinary moles and not melanomas. Additionally, some melanomas do not fit this description but may still be spotted by a primary-care physician or dermatologist. Not all melanomas have color or are raised on the skin. Amelanotic melanomas have little or no color to the naked eye and may be confused with traumatized benign nevi or basal cell carcinoma. Desmoplastic melanoma may appear to be a thickened area of skin like a scar. These are treated the same way as more typical melanomas but, in the latter case, may be more difficult to determine the exact margins of the tumor.

As a rule, melanoma is not painful unless traumatized. They sometimes itch, but this has no diagnostic or prognostic importance.

Return to Melanoma

Comment from: RW, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 17

The melanoma was 1 mm in diameter, and perhaps a little darker than most of my few moles.

Comment from: forcefive, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 24

I woke up one morning, and the bridge of my nose was very sore. The next day, my nose hurt even worse. I saw a patch of bright, red skin across my nose that was sore, hot to touch and swollen. My nasal passages were constricted. I went to the doctor two days after my first symptoms appeared and was diagnosed with a staph bacterial skin infection/nasal cellulitis. The doctor put me on seven days of 100 mg doxycycline hyclate twice daily. The next day, I felt worse with a fever, chills and generally feeling sick. I used ice packs and anti-inflammatories to help with the swelling. My nose also itched. Four days after I went to see the doctor, my condition was not improving and I went to the emergency room (ER). The ER doctor gave me 800 mg of prescription ibuprofen to take every eight hours. I was in so much pain, my nose felt broken. The doctor also wrote for five days of 100 mg doxycycline monohydrate twice daily, a stronger antibiotic than doxycycline hyclate. I was also told that I had an abscess inside my nose from the bacteria. The stronger antibiotic took care of the infection, and Ibuprofen really helped with the pain. In the end, it took two weeks for my nasal cellulitis to go away.