Whooping Cough (Pertussis) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with whooping cough?

What is the incubation period for whooping cough?

The incubation period, or the time frame in which symptoms develop, is longer than that for the common cold and most upper respiratory infections. Typically, signs and symptoms develop within seven to 10 days of exposure to pertussis, but they may not appear for up to three weeks after the initial infection.

Return to Whooping Cough (Pertussis)

Comment from: Robbie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I have just been confirmed as having whooping cough. I first went to the general physician (GP) and was told I have viral laryngitis. I went back to a different GP and I had googled whooping cough. I couldn't breathe on a night, so bad I thought I would die so I wouldn't even go to sleep. I would sit up night after night on pillows to not sleep but would doze off and wake up choking with terrible stridor noise. The new GP said he would test with a blood test when I suggested it to him and thankfully he listened, and he rang up to tell me I was positive. I've never had anything like it in my life and everyone on here will know it's very hard to tell people how bad it is. The night times are horrendous and the awful burping of air after the fit is weird. Also clogging in the throat whilst drinking is something new as well I never did before. I do think that any cold we get will bring it back on again.

Comment from: Francesca, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

Well, it is 1:46, and I can't sleep. I had a terrible what I call episode tonight, throwing up gasping for air, and urinating all over myself, because my main goal is just trying to gasp for air. Today I visited the hospital, where it was very apparent the diagnosis I had was whooping cough. It is not fun, can't eat, I'm exhausted and I am petrified to open my mouth, because I find anything can trigger it. I don't know how I contracted it, was at the doctor's three times in one week just being put on stronger and stronger medicines, because I had a big trip to Brazil that was approaching in less than a week. Hence when I got there it was bad, and hospitals in Brazil, well, let's say are nothing like American hospitals, but they did their best. Bottom line is if you are an adult, just go and get vaccinated, trust me this is terrible, not being able to gasp for air is the worst feeling. If you are sick and have a terrible cough ask the doctor to test you for it. I find what works for me is my breathing treatments that I do at home, as well as not having anything too cold or too hot, only room temperature. Don't eat late, and don't eat heavy, that will set it off. That's all for now, I hope you feel better.