Whooping Cough (Pertussis) - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with whooping cough?

What is the incubation period for whooping cough?

The incubation period, or the time frame in which symptoms develop, is longer than that for the common cold and most upper respiratory infections. Typically, signs and symptoms develop within seven to 10 days of exposure to pertussis, but they may not appear for up to three weeks after the initial infection.

Return to Whooping Cough (Pertussis)

Comment from: HillbillyFairy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

The whooping cough started as a mild cold and within a few days I got a fever and slept for 2 days, when I wasn't too busy hacking up my lungs. I has severe cough for weeks, although the flu symptoms left within a week, leaving mild fatigue and cough behind. I began working out again, and it was very difficult at first. Now almost 2 months later, I am feeling strong but cough is still here. Cough is much less severe but husband is a doctor and insists I get an x-ray tomorrow.

Comment from: SockFiddler, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

My 10 year old son and I both have whooping cough, and I was expecting things to clear after taking antibiotics for a few days. However, after a week of the medicines, we're still both feeling incredibly poorly. I called the doctor this morning who said that antibiotics will stop you from being infectious, but won't do anything to stem the progression of the disease; miserable. Just to let you know that whooping cough is a notifiable infectious disease (in UK and Europe, probably in US and Canada, though I don't know). This means that, by law, suspected cases have to be reported to a local public health unit. Now we're deep in the throes of miserable coughing and inability to sleep, I can see why notification is required. Be responsible with your illness (doctors too!) and make sure it gets reported to the authorities. It's the only way they can track outbreaks and monitor immunization effectiveness.