Hip Bursitis - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with hip bursitis?

Please select the black square:

What are hip bursitis symptoms?

Trochanteric bursitis frequently causes tenderness of the outer hip, making it difficult for patients to lie on the involved side, frequently causing difficult sleep. Trochanteric bursitis also causes a dull, burning pain on the outer hip that is often made worse with excessive walking or stair climbing. The ischial bursa is located in the upper buttock area. Ischial bursitis can cause dull pain in this area that is most noticeable when climbing uphill. The pain sometimes occurs after prolonged sitting on hard surfaces, hence the names "weaver's bottom" and "tailor's bottom."

Bursitis of the hip is the most common cause of hip pain.

Return to Hip Bursitis

Comment from: marge, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

Pain from hip bursitis certainly kept me awake, now I have on both sides. I had cortisone injections and it didn"t fizz on me, finally I saw a doctor at a walk-in clinic and he injected Kenalog 40 and it took the pain away for almost a year. I go see him about every year and half, he said not all doctors are trained to put it in, be careful though, it freezes your leg for a few hours. I have somebody drive then help me into the apartment. What a relief!

Comment from: Lindsay, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I spent the last 3.5 years in severe pain in my lower right abdomen and right hip. I took many, many ultrasounds, CT scans, MRIs, x-rays, etc., and even a laparoscopy and still nothing! One day my physical therapist mentioned a labral tear. Never hearing of this, I looked it up and it fit a lot of my symptoms. I went to my doctor and through more specific tests, found out I have the hip trifecta. I have a large liberal tear, bursitis caused by the labral tear, and bone spurs. Finally, all the pain, the not being able to stand/sit/lay too long, the pain being in such a wide range of areas. If you"re having undiagnosed hip pain have your doctor check for a labral tear.