Pancreatitis - Treatments

How was your pancreatitis (acute or chronic) treated?

What is the treatment for pancreatitis?

In most cases of acute pancreatitis, admission to the hospital is needed, whereas some cases of chronic pancreatitis can be managed in an outpatient setting.

Depending on the underlying cause of pancreatitis, management may vary to address the specific cause. In general, however, the following treatment regimen will always be initiated for the treatment of pancreatitis.

First-line treatment will involve:

• Fasting to help the pancreas to rest and recover.
  • IV fluids to prevent dehydration while fasting
  • Pancreatitis can be very painful, thus intravenous pain medication is often necessary.

If pancreatitis is due to an obstructing gallstone, surgical intervention may be required to remove the gallstone and/or remove the gallbladder. Intervention may also be required to treat a pseudocyst or to remove part of the affected pancreas.

If alcohol consumption is the cause of pancreatitis, abstinence from alcohol and an alcohol rehabilitation program will be recommended.

If a medication or chemical exposure is found to be the cause of pancreatitis, then removal of the medication or offending exposure is recommended.

If high triglycerides are the cause of pancreatitis, then your health-care professional may prescribe medication to decrease the patient's triglyceride levels.

Return to Pancreatitis

Comment from: Gem, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I was hospitalized 2 months ago with acute pancreatitis, caused by drinking, only on weekends, hard liquor and wine. It was the worst pain I've ever had in my life, and vomiting. I was in the hospital for 4 days, nothing to eat or drink, on IV and treated with Dilaudid. I am feeling pretty good now but very tired all the time, the doctor says it takes 6 months for pancreas to heal.

Comment from: Brenda / Texas, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I was admitted to the hospital two weeks ago for acute pancreatitis. I had the first acute attack in 2008. I was on IV antibiotics for 4 1/2 days. Two CT scans and 1 MRI later, I still do not know what caused it. I don"t drink, don"t smoke and never had high cholesterol. My triglycerides in the hospital were 71. I am supposed to go to the gastroenterologist in a few weeks for scope. I hope I don"t ever have this again.