Heart Attack - Treatments

What was the treatment for your heart attack?

Please select the black square:

What is the treatment for heart attack?

The American College of Cardiology Foundation (ACCF) and the American Heart Association (AHA) task force recommends a treatment guideline that they consider as a preferred strategy to treat heart attacks; PCI (Percutaneous Coronary Intervention) or stenting is emphasized. For details about PCI, please see reference 2.

The 2013 ACCF/AHA guidelines for treatment of a heart attack are summarized as follows:

1. Ideally, transport patient to a PCI capable hospital; if not PCI capable, transfer patient as soon as possible and less than 120 min; if anticipated transfer is more than 120 min, give fibrinolytic agent within 30 min of arrival
  2. Send to cath lab
  3. Diagnostic angiogram
  4. PCI (Percutaneous Coronary Intervention) also termed stenting or stent placement
  5. If reocclusion occurs or perfusion fails in a patient given a fibrinolytic, arrange transfer to a PCI capable facility; for other patients treated with a fibrinolytic, transfer to a PCI facility within about 3-24hrs
  6. If step 5 occurs, step 3 should follow at a PCI capable facility were either medical therapy, a PCI or a CABG should be done Patients who are not candidates for PCI therapy usually undergo medical or surgical (CABG) therapy. For a more detailed presentation of the medical treatments and CABG, read the heart attack treatment article.
Return to Heart Attack

Comment from: iqbal bibi, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 08

I am an old patient of vasculitis since 2000. For 5 year I have taken tablet Deltacotril along with Zantac tablet. But now again the above problem has started from hand and foot.

Comment from: Debbie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 23

On Saturday afternoon I developed a high fever of 101 and soon started vomiting, and I took to my bed. On Sunday another fever and vomiting, and Sunday evening was when I noticed the red inflamed rash on the back of my right calf just above the ankle. My husband insisted I see a doctor. I was diagnosed with cellulitis and given antibiotics. I was advised to return to the doctor in 2 days if no improvement. It is extremely painful especially first thing in the morning.