Deep Vein Thrombosis - Diagnosis

How was your deep vein thrombosis diagnosed?

Please select the white circle:

How is deep vein thrombosis diagnosed?

The diagnosis of superficial thrombophlebitis is made clinically.

Ultrasound is now the standard method of diagnosing the presence of a deep vein thrombosis. The ultrasound technician may be able to determine whether a clot exists, where it is located in the leg, and how large it is. Ultrasounds can be compared over time to see whether a clot has grown or resolved. Ultrasound is better at "seeing" veins above the knee as compared to the veins below it.

Venography, injecting dye into the veins to look for a thrombus, is not usually performed any more and has become more of a historical footnote.

D-dimer is a blood test that may be used as a screening test to determine if a blood clot exists. D-dimer is a chemical that is produced when a blood clot in the body gradually dissolves. The test is used as a positive or negative indicator. If the result is negative, then no blood clot exists. If the D-dimer test is positive, it does not necessarily mean that a deep vein thrombosis is present since many situations will have an expected positive result (for example, from surgery, a fall, or pregnancy). For that reason, D-dimer testing must be used selectively.

Other blood testing may be considered based on the potential cause for the deep vein thrombosis.

Return to Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT)

Comment from: kitty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

When I was 39 I sprained my ankle and dislocated a toe. I was told to do bed rest and elevate the ankle. One week after the sprain I started experiencing a lot of pain. I couldn't put pressure on my foot, anything that touches my leg I had a lot of pain and there was a lot of swelling. I went to the er again and told them about the symptoms, I was having and I was told what can you expect you dislocated your toe and sprained your ankle. Again I went back two days later as I couldn't take the pain anymore and there was a red line in front of my leg. Again I was told in the er that I was not doing bed rest etc. I refuse to leave and I told them they had to figure out what was wrong. They looked at me as if I was crazy. Another doctor was called a doppler was ordered they found 2 clots behind my calf. I was in hosp for over one week and 11 years later I still take meds. My leg was swollen for over 6 months. So if you feel that something is not correct. Don't stop until you get an answer.

Comment from: Trooparun, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I had painless swelling on my ankles and feet. I thought it would be normal due to my running sessions. However, it was pointed out by my wife that it does not seem normal and requires attention. The doctor prescribed a number of tests including kidney and heart functioning tests. All of the tests were normal and it was then that she linked it to smoking and coagulation if the blood.