Menstrual Cramps - Experiences

How often do you experience menstrual cramps?

Can menstrual cramps be measured?

Yes, but measuring the strength of menstrual cramps is not routinely done in clinical practice. Researchers have demonstrated that menstrual cramps can be scientifically documented by measuring the pressure within the uterus and the number and frequency of uterine contractions. During a normal menstrual period, the average woman has contractions of a low pressure (50-80 mm Hg), which last 15-30 seconds at a frequency of 1-4 contractions every 10 minutes. When a woman with dysmonorrhea has menstrual cramps, her contractions are of a higher pressure (they may exceed 400 mm Hg), last longer than 90 seconds, and often occur less than 15 seconds apart.

Return to Menstrual Cramps

Comment from: OverlyAnnoyed, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I've had a period since I was 10, I'm 30 now and the cramps are worse than ever. Nothing that worked in the past has been working. I have nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach and back cramps. I do notice that it's mainly the 2nd to 3rd day of my period. I am just nervous it's more than just cramps. But my doctors say it's not. I am so confused and tired of the pain every month.

Comment from: MS, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

I'm 26 years old and started my menses at 10 years old. From the start, my cycle has been regular and involves cramps along with heavy flow for a week. The cramps are the most intense on the 1st day of my cycle and lessen on the 2nd and are gone by the 3rd, but the pain is never super bad, just mildly annoying and I used to take a Midol for the day. Now I just ride out the cramps since they're not that painful. The only time it was really bad was when I was 15; it hurt so bad I was lying down curled in on myself, it felt like I couldn't move and the Midol I had taken wasn't working. I eventually vomited and that was the end of it. It's never been that bad ever since.