Menstrual Cramps - Experiences

How often do you experience menstrual cramps?

Please select the black square:

Can menstrual cramps be measured?

Yes, but measuring the strength of menstrual cramps is not routinely done in clinical practice. Researchers have demonstrated that menstrual cramps can be scientifically documented by measuring the pressure within the uterus and the number and frequency of uterine contractions. During a normal menstrual period, the average woman has contractions of a low pressure (50-80 mm Hg), which last 15-30 seconds at a frequency of 1-4 contractions every 10 minutes. When a woman with dysmonorrhea has menstrual cramps, her contractions are of a higher pressure (they may exceed 400 mm Hg), last longer than 90 seconds, and often occur less than 15 seconds apart.

Return to Menstrual Cramps

Comment from: Ashisu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

About 6 years ago, I was walking through my apartment and hit my right foot on a door frame. The pain was awful, and I cried out and fell to my knees. It took me a few minutes to recover and hobble to my couch. I did not notice any immediate swelling or bruising. It wasn't tender to the touch, but movement and walking were very painful. I tried to walk to my bedroom and was in tears by the time I reached the bed. By the next morning, the pain had lessened enough that I was able to walk but with a pronounced limp. I could not run if I tried. The area around my small toes was swollen and bruised by that time. I went to a clinic that evening and had my foot x-rayed. My fourth toe (next to my pinky toe) on my right foot had a hair-line fracture. All the doctor could do was buddy wrap it. It took about 6 weeks to fully heal.

Comment from: Dean K., 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I dislocated my pinky last night playing basketball, one small bone sitting on top of the other; kind of hideous looking. I went to the emergency room, and the doctor put it back in place after taking x-ray to make sure there was no fracture. He numbed it first with local injection of lidocaine. He also took three more x-rays after putting it back. Now I am in splint. Pain is mild throbbing, lessens with ice, and elevation. I will be seeing a specialist in a few days. So far, so good.