Constipation - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatments have been effective for your constipation?

Please select the white circle:

What treatments are available for constipation?

There are many treatments for constipation. The best approach relies on a clear understanding of the underlying cause.

Return to Constipation

Comment from: Faerychic, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I have had trouble with constipation all my life. I can remember having my first enema at age 5 and castor oil every night. I have tried numerous types of fiber products and they make matters worse and also cause bloating and trapped gas (yes, I drink plenty of water). As a result of my chronic constipation, I have horrific hemorrhoids. I cannot let myself get constipated or the hemorrhoid pain is unbearable. What works for me is magnesium citrate. I take it every night in capsule form. I take anywhere from 800 to 1600 mg. depending on how plugged up I am. My gastroenterologist said it was fine to take every day.

Comment from: Sandyboots, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have been constipated all my life. For years I"ve been using prune juice, about one cup full. I warm it up in the microwave oven and then drink it first thing in the morning. Then I also drink about 6 oz. of water. I do this every other day and have had good results. I suggest for first time users, use about 1/2 to 3/4 cup. Warming it is a must. You will get quick results. You"ll have to experiment with the amount of prune juice. Good luck!