(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What are the risk factors for dementia?

The risk factors for developing dementia include age and family history. Age and a family history of dementia are non-modifiable risk factors. Abnormal genes which are associated with Alzheimer's disease have been identified, but are only rarely involved in the development of Alzheimer's disease. Conditions such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or diabetes increase the risks of developing either Alzheimer's disease or multi-infarct dementia. Some medications can lead to memory problems which look like dementia.

Return to Dementia

Comment from: Margaret, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

Apparently my mother has dementia, which is a risk factor for me.

Comment from: cstance, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: January 26

My son and I moved in with my mother after she was in a bad car accident. She has since been diagnosed with vascular dementia. We used to be the best of friends but now she argues with me constantly. She says I am trying to take over her life. That I am always being involved in her issues. In a way, I have to. I go to her doctor's appointments with her and she hates that. She was told not to drive but does not listen. They wanted her to get tested to see how her skills as a driver were and she just told them no. I know that eventually I will have to be in charge of her legal issues but for now it is a source for arguments. She is always on my case now and threatening to kick me out. She tells me that I have no rights here and it is her house. I cannot imagine how hard this must be for her. I know that it is frightening for her as she always been a control freak. To lose control is her worst nightmare. But then she will argue and say that she would be so much happier in a nursing home. I know it would last about a week or so and then she would be unhappy. I have a lot of health issues too and she throws up anything she can at me. I lost my husband a year and a half ago and I am so unhappy here. So is she and so is my son. But I know basically I am doing the right thing and trying to help as much as I can. I try constantly to not get up in arguments but she is very good at baiting me. I wonder if anyone else out there feels like I do.