Athlete's Foot - Causes

What caused your athlete's foot?

What else causes foot rashes?

There are many possible causes of foot rashes. Additional causes include irritant or contact dermatitis, allergic rashes from shoes or other creams, dyshidrotic eczema (skin allergy rash), psoriasis, yeast infections, and bacterial infections.

Your physician can perform a simple test called a KOH, or potassium hydroxide for microscopic fungal examination, in the office or laboratory to confirm the presence of a fungal infection. This test is performed using small flakes of skin that are examined under the microscope. Many dermatologists perform this test in their office with results available within minutes. Rarely, a small piece of skin may be removed and sent for biopsy to help confirm the diagnosis.

Return to Athlete's Foot

Comment from: Roberto, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: March 14

I have had athlete's foot between my toes for almost a year. My doctor prescribed Lamisil for one week (no effect), clotrimazol for six weeks (little improvement), and ciclopirox olamine for two weeks (no effect). The only thing that has worked is "toe socks" (they are like gloves for feet), made with silver fibers. They are slightly expensive ($17 a pair) but in 12 days, my skin was clear and the itching and smell were gone. Important: they must be made of silver fiber (it seems the silver kills fungi).

Comment from: MIP, 55-64 Female Published: January 20

I've had athlete's foot for 11 years now. It acts up more severely in cold weather, whether I wear socks around the house or not. I've used prescription creams to no avail. I have seen doctors, and they prescribe the creams with little sympathy. I do not have flaking, just itching, swelling, redness and blisters when it's really bad.