Athlete's Foot - Causes

What caused your athlete's foot?

What else causes foot rashes?

There are many possible causes of foot rashes. Additional causes include irritant or contact dermatitis, allergic rashes from shoes or other creams, dyshidrotic eczema (skin allergy rash), psoriasis, yeast infections, and bacterial infections.

Your physician can perform a simple test called a KOH, or potassium hydroxide for microscopic fungal examination, in the office or laboratory to confirm the presence of a fungal infection. This test is performed using small flakes of skin that are examined under the microscope. Many dermatologists perform this test in their office with results available within minutes. Rarely, a small piece of skin may be removed and sent for biopsy to help confirm the diagnosis.

Return to Athlete's Foot

Comment from: oceanchild, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I've found persistent athlete's foot is linked directly to candida. All fungi need warmth, moisture and fuel. If I follow a strict no-sugar diet (deny the fuel), eat a very clean, vegetable heavy menu and get enough sleep, my athlete's foot, low energy, breakouts, and yeast infections clear right up and I have no trouble with them. I do apply a 1/10 ratio mix of hydrogen peroxide to water if I've been naughty and my feet get a bit itchy. I hope that helps!

Comment from: sandy123, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I got my athlete's foot at an indoor swimming pool at a hotel. I wore flip flops to the pool, but, like an idiot, took them off at the poolside table and walked barefoot to the pool. That's all it took!