Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip - Treatments

What was your treatment for chronic rhinitis and/or post-nasal drip?

How can chronic rhinitis and post-nasal drip be treated?

The treatment is generally directed towards the underlying cause.

Identifying and avoiding allergens

An allergy is an exaggerated "normal body" inflammatory response to an outside substance. These substances that cause allergies are called allergens, and typically include

• pollen,
  • mold,
  • animal dander (cats and dogs),
  • house dust,
  • dust mites and cockroaches, and
  • some foods.

The best treatment is avoidance of these allergens, but in many cases this may be very difficult if not impossible. Some helpful suggestions include:

• Use a pollen mask when mowing the grass or cleaning the house.
  • Install an air purifier or at least change the air filters monthly in heating and air conditioning systems.
  • Use cotton or synthetic materials such as Dacron in pillows and bedding.
  • Enclose mattress in plastic.
  • Select dust-mite proof pillow covers.
  • Consider using a humidifier.
  • Keep windows closed during high pollen times.
  • Eliminate house plants.
  • bathe pets frequently or do not adopt or purchase dander-producing pets.

Avoidance of nasal irritants: Nasal irritants usually do not lead to the typical immune response seen with classical allergies, but nevertheless they can mimic or make allergies worse, as in vasomotor rhinitis. Examples of these irritants include cigarette smoke, perfume, aerosol sprays, smoke, smog and car exhaust.

Possible allergens may be identified by a very careful history taken by a health-care professional. Details of the patient's possible exposure to allergens or irritants at home or the workplace may give clues. An allergy specialist (allergy and immunologist) can perform skin tests to try to identify common environmental allergies.

Return to Chronic Rhinitis and Post-Nasal Drip

Comment from: Sue, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 22

I developed trigeminal neuralgia in my late twenties/early thirties and was in a tremendous amount of pain, which worsened on lying down. Normal painkillers had no effect. The relief that came when prescribed Tegretol was immense but it always made me feel as though I was in another world! Almost like being under the influence of alcohol. Eventually I was found to have a dental abscess which it took a long time to diagnose. Once the tooth was removed the neuralgia went away. Over the years I have had milder spells which always seem related to dental problems.

Comment from: anon, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 04

I was diagnosed 5 years ago with mild ulcerative colitis (UC) after going through a year of abdominal pain and misdiagnosis that caused me to lose an ovary. I rarely have diarrhea but have had a couple of accidents and they involved work as well as home. Mine is mostly constipation with left side gut wrenching abdominal pain and horrendous gas. Most of the time I can't tell anymore If I need to go or not, hence the accidents at work. I've noticed the worse the gas, the more the urgency seems to be. Which is the lesser of 2 evils, diarrhea or constipation! Being able to have a bowel movement or not for days to a week at a time. I have the fatigue, fevers, night sweats (thought that was due to menopause) and no appetite because I can't tell anymore if the pain is because I'm hungry or it is due to the UC, and I'm scared to ingest anything. I also developed internal hemorrhoids so even when I do get the chance to expel, I feel like my backside is on fire all the time. Thanks for talking about the mucus part. I didn't know about that and thought some weird things when I saw that because it was orange. I find lying down for a few hours and not moving, helps with the abdominal pain. I am also trying the probiotic trick. After 5 years I have learned which foods are a trigger for excessive pain and avoid those in my diet. The main one was red meat. Lately the other one has been dairy. I drink Silk now and there was an immediate difference. I'm glad I found this site.