Stress - Physical Symptoms

Symptoms of stress can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your physical symptoms?

Please select the black square:

What are the signs and symptoms of poorly managed stress?

Excess stress can manifest itself in a variety of emotional, behavioral, and even physical symptoms, and the symptoms of stress vary enormously among different individuals. Common somatic (physical) symptoms often reported by those experiencing excess stress include sleep disturbances or changes in sleeping habits, muscle tension, muscle aches, headache, gastrointestinal problems, and fatigue. Symptoms of many preexisting medical conditions can also worsen during times of stress. Emotional and behavioral symptoms that can accompany excess stress include nervousness, anxiety, changes in eating habits including overeating or undereating, loss of enthusiasm or energy, and mood changes, like irritability and depression. Of course, none of these signs or symptoms means for certain that there is an elevated stress level since all of these symptoms can be caused by other medical and/or psychological conditions.

It is also known that people under stress have a greater tendency to engage in unhealthy behaviors, such as excessive use or abuse of alcohol and drugs, cigarette smoking, and making poor exercise and nutritional choices, than their less-stressed counterparts. These unhealthy behaviors can further increase the severity of symptoms related to stress, often leading to a "vicious cycle" of symptoms and unhealthy behaviors.

The experience of stress is highly individualized. What constitutes overwhelming stress for one person may not be perceived as stress by another. Likewise, the symptoms and signs of poorly managed stress will be different for each person.

Return to Stress

Comment from: Frazzled, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 21

I am extremely stressed out from my husband. He is always screaming at me for some small thing, like getting water on the handle of a faucet! I cry over happy and sad things or just want to cry over everything! My stomach feels like it is in knots all the time. I feel nauseated and sometime I vomit when I brush my teeth! Recently, my back has been hurting, but the pain moves from behind my hips to the middle of my lower back to my back ribs! I also felt like a bubble moved up my spine the other day, then disappeared.

Comment from: Car, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I work night shifts and usually get about 4 to 5 hours sleep per day since I juggle work and taking care of the kids, by myself. I mostly get irritated and no control of my anger. I also experience headaches often like sometimes 3 times a week. I had 2 episodes of lack of oxygen while working.