Sinus Infection - Symptoms

What were your symptoms for sinus infection?

Please select the black square:

What are the signs and symptoms of sinus infection?

Commonly the symptoms of sinus infection are headache, facial tenderness, pressure or pain, and fever. However, as few as 25% of patients may have fever associated with acute sinus infection. Other common symptoms include:

• cloudy, discolored nasal drainage,
  • a feeling of nasal stuffiness,
  • sore throat, and
  • cough.

Some people notice an increased sensitivity or headache when they lean forward because of the additional pressure placed on the sinuses. Others may experience tooth or ear pain, fatigue, or bad breath. In noninfectious sinusitis, other associated allergy symptoms of itching eyes and sneezing may be common, but may include some of the symptoms listed above for infectious sinusitis. Nasal drainage is usually clear or whitish-colored in people with noninfectious sinusitis.

With rare fulminant fungal infections, there may be ulceration, with sharply defined edges and a black, necrotic center in the nasal area. Some fungal infections cause a dark, black-appearing exudates. This requires immediate medical evaluation.

Return to Sinus Infection (Sinusitis)

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I had sever coughing that was it. After 3 months I did a CT and I have a severe sinus infection.

Comment from: smeggy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I had a DTAP (tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis) shot last Friday. It was totally fine at first, but 5 days later (yesterday) the soreness started. Also there was a bit of swelling where the shot was given, with a few small red blotches under it. Today it is even more swollen and there are more blotches traveling farther down my arm. The pain level is about the same but it seems like it is in my shoulder now too. The pain seems worse when I raise my arm up. It's also getting a bit itchy where the red splotches are and my whole upper arm feels hot to the touch. I tried icing it but that makes it itch more and start to prickle. So I am just leaving it alone and hoping it doesn't get worse.