Sinus Infection - Symptoms

What were your symptoms for sinus infection?

What are the signs and symptoms of sinus infection?

Commonly the symptoms of sinus infection are headache, facial tenderness, pressure or pain, and fever. However, as few as 25% of patients may have fever associated with acute sinus infection. Other common symptoms include:

• cloudy, discolored nasal drainage,
  • a feeling of nasal stuffiness,
  • sore throat, and
  • cough.

Some people notice an increased sensitivity or headache when they lean forward because of the additional pressure placed on the sinuses. Others may experience tooth or ear pain, fatigue, or bad breath. In noninfectious sinusitis, other associated allergy symptoms of itching eyes and sneezing may be common, but may include some of the symptoms listed above for infectious sinusitis. Nasal drainage is usually clear or whitish-colored in people with noninfectious sinusitis.

With rare fulminant fungal infections, there may be ulceration, with sharply defined edges and a black, necrotic center in the nasal area. Some fungal infections cause a dark, black-appearing exudates. This requires immediate medical evaluation.

Return to Sinus Infection (Sinusitis)

Comment from: Chris31UK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I'm a 31 year old male, previously a smoker before my first pneumothorax. The first time my bottom right lung collapsed and I thought it was angina or heart attack. I was rushed to hospital and they stuck a syringe in and then re-inflated the collapsed part. The following day I was just finishing smoking and I could feel a pain when I breathed in and out and felt my lung capacity drop to 50 percent. I was rushed to hospital again and had a drain. After being on and off suction 3 times they operated and used talc to stick my lung to the wall. My lung is still only 93 percent inflated and I have been in hospital 4 weeks so far. (I am still here!) I'm on flutter bag for the 3rd time now and as long as my lung does not deflate even more in the next 48 hours at least I can go home. I have never known pain like this and would never wish it on anyone. It is actually really scary because most people have recovered in at least half the time I have been here so who knows how long this will last and what the end result will be. My last words; live your life and regret nothing. Spend as much time with your family as possible. One day it will be too late.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I had sever coughing that was it. After 3 months I did a CT and I have a severe sinus infection.