Sinus Infection - Symptoms

What were your symptoms for sinus infection?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the signs and symptoms of sinus infection?

Commonly the symptoms of sinus infection are headache, facial tenderness, pressure or pain, and fever. However, as few as 25% of patients may have fever associated with acute sinus infection. Other common symptoms include:

• cloudy, discolored nasal drainage,
  • a feeling of nasal stuffiness,
  • sore throat, and
  • cough.

Some people notice an increased sensitivity or headache when they lean forward because of the additional pressure placed on the sinuses. Others may experience tooth or ear pain, fatigue, or bad breath. In noninfectious sinusitis, other associated allergy symptoms of itching eyes and sneezing may be common, but may include some of the symptoms listed above for infectious sinusitis. Nasal drainage is usually clear or whitish-colored in people with noninfectious sinusitis.

With rare fulminant fungal infections, there may be ulceration, with sharply defined edges and a black, necrotic center in the nasal area. Some fungal infections cause a dark, black-appearing exudates. This requires immediate medical evaluation.

Return to Sinus Infection

Comment from: Chrissy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I developed sinus infection due to 2 teeth requiring root canal treatment. I didn"t realize I had sinus, although I was a little congested. The dentist took x-rays and said I had an infection in the upper jaw from the 2 teeth, and this had caused the sinus. I feel much better now. Sinus has cleared to a large degree. Headaches have disappeared significantly as well.

Comment from: Doreen, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I went to my doctor over 3 months ago because of terrible pressure in my head and ears. It was diagnosed as acute sinusitis and I needed my ears syringed. I was given an antibiotic and nasal spray, advised to use olive oil in my ears to soften the wax for syringing. The discharges from nose, green, yellow and blood have pretty well cleared up finally. However, I still have extreme pressure in my head and ears and high pitched noise in my ears and I am coughing all the time. I have trouble with vertigo, have had two trips to the emergency room, 2nd was by ambulance. Each time the pressure and pain in my head and ears are terrible, I have no balance, bad shaking, vomiting and my blood pressure spikes up to 202/92. The 1st time in Emergency the doctor said not to take any more antibiotics and put me on the saline wash and the nasal spray. The last 2 weeks I have noticed pain in my eyes and my eyesight is affected. I am at my wit's end, I can't handle this much longer. I have no energy and just feel like sleeping most of the time. My family doctor did make an appointment for me to see an eye, nose and throat specialist; I just found out today that the wait is 12 months.

Stay Informed!