Lyme Disease - Treatments

How was your Lyme disease treated?

What is the treatment for Lyme disease, and what is its prognosis?

Most cases of Lyme disease are curable with antibiotics. This is so true that some authors of Lyme disease research have stated that the most common cause of lack of response of Lyme disease to antibiotics is a lack of Lyme disease to begin with! The type of antibiotic depends on the stage of the disease (early or late) and what areas of the body are affected. Early illness is usually effectively treated with medicines taken by mouth, for example, doxycycline (Vibramycin), amoxicillin (Amoxil), or cefuroxime axetil (Ceftin). Of note, doxycycline should not be used in pregnancy or in children under 8 years of age.

Therefore, if a person finds a typical bull's-eye skin rash (described above) developing in an area of a tick bite, they should seek medical attention as soon as possible. Generally, antibiotic treatment resolves the rash within one or two weeks with no long-term consequences. Later illness such as nervous-system disease might require intravenous drugs; examples are ceftriaxone (Rocephin) and penicillin G.

In those people with two or more episodes of erythema migrans rash, even years apart, it is felt that the episodes represent different infections or reinfection, rather than persistence of the original infection.

For the relief of symptoms, pain-relieving medicines might be added. Swollen joints can be reduced by the doctor removing fluid from them (arthrocentesis). An arthrocentesis is a procedure whereby fluid is removed from a joint using a needle and syringe under sterile conditions. It is usually performed in a doctor's office. Rarely, even with appropriate antibiotics, the arthritis continues. It has been suggested by researchers that sometimes joint inflammation can persist even after eradication of the Lyme bacteria. This has been explained as an ongoing autoimmune response causing inflammation of the joint that was initially stimulated by the original bacterial infection. Oral medications such as ibuprofen (Motrin, Nuprin) can also be used to reduce inflammation and improve function. There is no evidence that nonspecific fatigue that persists after treatment for Lyme disease is related to persistent infection. The risks of prolonged treatments with antibiotics are far greater than any benefit in this situation.

Return to Lyme Disease

Comment from: Lauren, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

After years of looking for an answer to my fatigue I was finally diagnosed with Lyme disease as well as H. pylori. I am at the stage where I have numbness and weakness in my arms, vision problems and chest tightness and heart palpitation. I was just put on 2 weeks of doxycycline 100 mg 2 times daily. After what I read I wonder if this is enough at this stage.

Comment from: hopeful, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 29

I have had torticollis for 4 years now. I tried baclofen, Valium, and Artane. Currently I am on Roxicodone for the pain and Soma (helping less and less). I had cervical fusion for herniation. Bad move. Now it is more difficult to get injections due to metal plate in the neck. I have been going to pain management doctor every month for 2 years. I had acupuncture, physical therapy (made it worse), 3 neurologists, and today I'm going to the fourth. Last Botox did absolutely nothing but empty my wallet. Insurance won't cover! I am willing to try again out of desperation. I am starting to have difficulty swallowing. I feel pressure on my esophagus. I am a registered nurse and single parent and I need to work. Wish me luck. And good luck to all of you.