Arrhythmia (Irregular Heartbeat) - Treatments

How was your arrhythmia treated?

Please select the black square:

How are arrhythmias treated?

Treatment depends on the type and seriousness of your arrhythmia. Some people with arrhythmias require no treatment. For others, treatments can include medication, making lifestyle changes, and undergoing surgical procedures.

Return to Arrhythmia

Comment from: ncsurmy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I've been experiencing what I would describe as an irregular heartbeat off and on now since 2006. At first it was just at night when I would lay down to go to sleep. It felt as if my heart was flopping around like a fish lying on the beach that couldn't get back to the water. I would try to relax by taking deep breaths and go to sleep. When I awoke in the morning my heart felt normal. After several months the symptoms went away and I went a few years without having a recurrence. Last year (2011) it came back and was not only when I was lying down. Now it occurs every day and is much worse when I am lying. I've taken my pulse multiple times during an episode and my heart beats 3 to 5 times normally then pauses and the next beat is much more pronounced than the 3-5 beats just before the pause. When I am lying it feels as though my heart is going to jump right out of my chest and it is difficult to breathe. I found myself taking long deep breaths quite frequently. I am a 53 year old male who stopped smoking in 2006. I am not overweight but have high cholesterol.

Comment from: peaceful, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I have been on verapamil 120 mg time release for arrhythmia, for many years, and now reaching 77 years of age and want to know if I should have a lower dose because of my age. I feel sleepier and in the mornings can feel this way even with a good night's sleep. I do have the dizzy feeling and am short of breath a lot of times.