Pregnancy - Signs

How did you find out you were pregnant?

What is the first trimester (week 1-week 12)?

During the first trimester your body undergoes many changes. Hormonal changes affect almost every organ system in your body. These changes can trigger symptoms even in the very first weeks of pregnancy. Your period stopping is a clear sign that you are pregnant. Other changes may include:

• Extreme tiredness
  • Tender, swollen breasts. Your nipples might also stick out.
  • Upset stomach with or without throwing up (morning sickness)
  • Cravings or distaste for certain foods
  • Mood swings
  • Constipation (trouble having bowel movements)
  • Need to pass urine more often
  • Headache
  • Heartburn
  • Weight gain or loss

As your body changes, you might need to make changes to your daily routine, such as going to bed earlier or eating frequent, small meals. Fortunately, most of these discomforts will go away as your pregnancy progresses. And some women might not feel any discomfort at all! If you have been pregnant before, you might feel differently this time around. Just as each woman is different, so is each pregnancy.

Return to Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters)

Comment from: hazelblondy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I had my wisdom teeth out on October 24th and that night while I was still a little loopy I realized I had not started my period. I did a digital test and it said pregnant 2 to 3 weeks. I had taken one two days before and it was negative so this was a big shock for my husband and I but we are so excited to start our family. I am 26 and can't wait to be a mommy!

Comment from: Nobu, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I went for my PAP smear and the sister attending to me did a scan first and asked me what type of abortion I was going to be doing. I was shocked and told her I wasn't pregnant. Then she insisted I take a pregnancy test, because she saw something on the scan which made her believe I was in my early pregnancy days, which came out negative. We continued with the PAP smear. Following month I found out I'm pregnant 7 weeks.