(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What are the symptoms of H. pylori infections?

Most individuals infected with H. pylori have few or no symptoms. Some may experience a few symptoms from mild gastritis episodes, for example,

• minor belching,
  • bloating,
  • nausea,
  • vomiting, and
  • abdominal discomfort.

Often, these symptoms simply go away. However, those individuals who have a more serious infection exhibit symptoms of stomach and duodenal ulcers or severe gastritis which include the following:

• abdominal pain and/or discomfort that usually does not wax and wane
  • nausea and vomiting sometimes with blood that is red or the color is like coffee grounds like vomitus
  • dark or tar-like stools (black color of feces due to bleeding ulcers)
  • fatigue
  • low red blood cell count due to bleeding
  • full feeling after a small amount of food
  • decreased appetite that is more constant

Other symptoms may include:

• diarrhea,
  • heartburn, and
  • bad breath (halitosis).

If a person has symptoms of black, tarry stools and fatigue they should seek medical help or go to an emergency department to be evaluated for intestinal bleeding.

Return to H. pylori (Helicobacter Pylori ) Infection

Comment from: Larry, Male (Patient) Published: January 10

I had my first symptom while at the park; intense and painful stomach cramping. I could hardly drive home, I was so bent over with stomach cramps. This went on and off for 2 days. Pain, the most pain I've ever had. I thought it was gallbladder. I went to the doctor who understood the symptoms. He did the test which was positive for H. pylori. I had never heard of it. After treatment I went back to the doctor because muscle cramping still would show up occasionally. I was put on muscle relaxers. I took it for a couple of weeks when needed. I talked to a nurse later who also thought she had a gallbladder attack. But it was H. pylori too.

Comment from: Kimmy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

My symptoms of H. pylori were nausea, vomiting and inability to keep even liquids down, feeling of fullness, more like a balloon, cramping, and feeling like I had an impacted colon between the large and small intestines. This was after a colonoscopy and I came back to see my regular doctor due to the continued pain/lump-feeling in my abdomen. H. pylori was determined after a blood test. I am now on horse-choking antibiotics and was told not to take my blood pressure medicines or my cholesterol medicines. The antibiotics or possibly the H. pylori has kicked me, and I've been sleeping a lot.

Comment from: QTINMEMPHIS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I don't know when my symptoms of Helicobacter pylori actually started, but it was years ago, at least 5. My symptoms were nausea and vomiting, but I wasn't vomiting food. I just recently found out that it was bile. A yellowish greenish liquid substance is what I was throwing up. I really didn't think it was my stomach, because I was only vomiting once a month when I was having my menstrual cycle. I thought the two were related somehow, until late last year. I was treated with an antibiotic cocktail for four days. It made me sicker in the beginning. I started throwing up daily until the last 3 days of the antibiotics. Thank goodness that I haven't experienced nausea or vomiting since then.