Stomach Cancer - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with stomach cancer?

What are the symptoms of stomach cancer?

Early stomach cancer often does not cause symptoms. As the cancer grows, the most common symptoms are:

• Discomfort or pain in the stomach area
  • Difficulty swallowing
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Weight loss
  • Feeling full or bloated after a small meal
  • Vomiting blood or having blood in the stool

Most often, these symptoms are not due to cancer. Other health problems, such as an ulcer or infection, can cause the same symptoms. Anyone who has these symptoms should tell their doctor so that problems can be diagnosed and treated as early as possible.

Return to Stomach Cancer

Comment from: J Phillips, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: November 08

My father had always been an exceptionally healthy man, fit and active. He had his yearly physical in the spring of 2011 and had no health concerns to speak of. During the summer months of 2011 his voice became hoarse, he began to have difficulty swallowing, and he felt fatigued. His family doctor diagnosed him with acid reflux, although he had no burning or indigestion. He began to feel full after eating only a little bit of food. My family & I took my father to the doctor many times and each time it was a different diagnosis, all of them incorrect. He was finally diagnosed with ascites and had 3 liters of fluid drained from his abdomen. We finally succeeded in getting him a GI scope which discovered a tumor in his stomach. He was diagnosed with stomach cancer on Sep 7, 2011 and died on Oct 4, 2011. Once we received his diagnosis it was too late for him, he deteriorated so rapidly in front of our eyes-heart breaking. November is Stomach Cancer Awareness month-please don't take issues of persistent indigestion, hoarseness, difficulty swallowing lightly. The difficulty with stomach cancer is that when the symptoms do present themselves, it is quite often too late. My father didn't have a chance.

Comment from: vpalston, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

For the past 6 years I had experienced pain in my upper stomach area. I was told I had pancreatitis. In November 2012 I was hospitalized with severe stomach pain and had numerous tests only to be told by that physician that I had acid reflux disease and was prescribed Prilosec. My inability to swallow and weight loss continued to worsen. In January 2013 I made several attempts to see my physician however I was told I couldn"t be seen until April 2013. I knew something wasn"t right so I found another physician who was able to see me the next day. He immediately sent me for testing and I was diagnosed in February 2013 with stomach cancer. I was immediately sent to an oncologist and began chemotherapy treatments for 3 sessions and had my stomach, spleen and several lymph nodes removed in July 2013.