(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What signs and symptoms do skin tags cause?

Except for the cosmetic appearance, skin tags generally cause no physical pain or discomfort. These tiny skin growths generally cause symptoms when they are repeatedly irritated (for example, by the collar or in the groin). Skin tag removal for cosmetic reasons is perhaps the most common reason they are removed. The following symptoms and signs may necessitate skin tag removal:

• it has become irritated and red from bleeding (hemorrhage) or black from twisting, and
  • death of the skin tissue (necrosis).

Sometimes, they may become snagged by clothing, jewelry, pets, or seat belts, causing pain or discomfort. Overall, these are very benign growths that have no cancer (malignant) potential.

Occasionally, a tag may spontaneously fall off without any pain or discomfort. This may occur after the tag has twisted on itself at the stalk base, interrupting the blood flow to the tag.

Return to Skin Tag

Comment from: Frustrated, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: March 24

It started with a small breakage of the skin just below my left eye, in the cheekbone, caused probably by shaving. After a couple of weeks this had grown larger. I went to see a dermatologist who ordered a blood/culture. The results came back as shingles. By this time, more spots had developed on my left leg, chest, back and the face. There are a few spots in my hairs. Immediately I was sent for a series of antibiotics (IV). Now I am on antibiotics, taken orally. I notice that that one of the symptoms include itching, open sores. I do not have any of those. Other than that, apart from being fatigued all the time with no energy. Two or three times a day, without any warning I get this excruciating pain to an area above my left eye. This pain lasts usually around 5 minutes.

Comment from: Hippie64, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I am not sure what kind of doctor I need to see. I have a very large cluster of skin tags on my pubic area. They started out as just one tag but have grown into a large cluster about the size of my thumb. The cluster has feeling and I've tried over the years to remove them on my own. It's embarrassing and I'm not sure who to see about removing them.

Comment from: DjMiss, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

There is pain, redness, and pinching like pain in my skin tag if touched.