Kidney Infection - Treatments

What treatment was effective for your kidney infection?

Please select the black triangle:

What is the treatment for kidney infection?

The most important component of treating kidney infection (as with any bacterial infection) is timely initiation of antibiotics under the directions of a health care professional. If kidney infection is diagnosed, then an empiric antibiotic (an antibiotic that would cover all likely bacterial organisms) is usually prescribed. A urine and blood sample will be taken and sent to a laboratory for analysis of any bacterial growth (urine culture and blood culture).

When a specific type of bacteria is isolated, antibiotics may then be changed to cover the particular bacteria. If the bacteria shows resistance (unresponsive) to the antibiotic that was initially prescribed, then the antibiotic is changed promptly to one that the organism is susceptible to in order to cure the kidney infection.

Home remedy with oral antibiotics and adequate water and fluid intake are usually sufficient for curing uncomplicated kidney infection and urinary tract infection. Nondrug home therapy with fluid intake, cranberry products, or acupuncture without antibiotics is not advisable for kidney infections.

However, if symptoms are severe (uncontrolled nausea and vomiting resulting in inability to take medications) or the infection is difficult to control with the routine oral remedies for kidney infection, then hospitalization may be required to receive intravenous antibiotics, intravenous hydration, and aggressive management of symptoms. In cases of complicated kidney infection hospitalization may also be necessary.

Self-medication for kidney infection is considered only in patients with mild, recurrent urinary infections. In individuals who are reliable and familiar with the symptoms of kidney infection, appropriate antibiotics prescribed to them in advance by their treating physicians may be started at the onset of their symptoms.

Return to Kidney Infection (Pyelonephritis)

Comment from: Karina, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 04

My husband started having high grade fever (102 plus) for 3 straight days and night, we went to the ER and they found kidney stones and thus a UTI. The 1st Dr. gave him Ciproflaxin but after 4 days: NO RESULTS. He cont. to have 103-104 fever constantly and so this morning we checked in to the ER again and they still saw kidney stones, no abnormalities in blood or urine (other than infection) so this Dr. prescribed Cephalexin. Never had to deal with so many frequent visits to the ER due to this UTI induced fever, UTI can be tenacious. He has been so much in pain in the last week, has had fever with chills and body tremors/shakiness, nausea on and on. I hope this antibiotic "Cephalexin" works (cross fingers)! (not to add he has diabetes and HBP).

Comment from: TLN, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I started with a stomach ache, nausea and vomiting; then the next day felt fine. The third day vomiting again. On the fourth day I went to the doctor who said I have an elevated white count possibly a kidney infection or stone. They sent me home with Cipro after a shot of Rocephin. I went back yesterday, I still have an elevated white count. They gave me Flagyl, and also pain medications and nausea medications. The last 3 days I have flank pain, initially the pain was in the top of my belly now it is in lower abdomen and the left flank. I have had urinary tract infections (UTIs) for as long as I can remember but this kidney thing is awful.