Lupus - Experience

Please describe your experience with lupus.

Please select the black triangle:

What is drug-induced lupus?

Dozens of medications have been reported to trigger SLE. However, more than 90% of cases of "drug-induced lupus" occurs as a side effect of one of the following six drugs: hydralazine (Apresoline) is used for high blood pressure; quinidine (Quinidine Gluconate, Quinidine Sulfate) and procainamide (Pronestyl; Procan-SR; Procanbid) are used for abnormal heart rhythms; phenytoin (Dilantin) is used for epilepsy; isoniazid (Nydrazid, Laniazid) is used for tuberculosis; and d-penicillamine (used for rheumatoid arthritis). These drugs are known to sometimes stimulate the immune system and cause SLE. Fortunately, drug-induced SLE is infrequent (accounting for less than 5% of all people with SLE), and it usually resolves when the medications are discontinued.

Return to Lupus

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I was first diagnosed with discoid lupus at the age of 34. I had skin rashes that got worse when in the sun, but that's all. Ten years later I was diagnosed with SLE (systemic lupus erythematosus). I suffer from RA (rheumatoid arthritis) in both hands, my knees are very painful as I also have degenerative arthritis as well as lupus. I am always tired and in pain. I go to pain management and am taking Plaquenil twice a day, meloxicam, and assorted pain medications. Most days I can barely walk.

Comment from: joy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I was diagnosed at 80 years of age with fluid in lungs. I was put in hospital and found to have 2 liters of fluid in lungs. Doctors did not know I had lupus at that time. Blood test tested positive for lupus. I have been on low dose of prednisone for 6 years, right now 5 milligrams every other day. I have a very mild case of lupus. Prednisone has controlled my lupus. I sometimes have a flare, but not very often. I understand what lupus can do to me. I live with it.