Lupus - Experience

Please describe your experience with lupus.

What is drug-induced lupus?

Dozens of medications have been reported to trigger SLE. However, more than 90% of cases of "drug-induced lupus" occurs as a side effect of one of the following six drugs: hydralazine (Apresoline) is used for high blood pressure; quinidine (Quinidine Gluconate, Quinidine Sulfate) and procainamide (Pronestyl; Procan-SR; Procanbid) are used for abnormal heart rhythms; phenytoin (Dilantin) is used for epilepsy; isoniazid (Nydrazid, Laniazid) is used for tuberculosis; and d-penicillamine (used for rheumatoid arthritis

Return to Lupus (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or SLE)

Comment from: joy, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I was diagnosed at 80 years of age with fluid in lungs. I was put in hospital and found to have 2 liters of fluid in lungs. Doctors did not know I had lupus at that time. Blood test tested positive for lupus. I have been on low dose of prednisone for 6 years, right now 5 milligrams every other day. I have a very mild case of lupus. Prednisone has controlled my lupus. I sometimes have a flare, but not very often. I understand what lupus can do to me. I live with it.

Comment from: sherry, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I have just been diagnosed with PBC (primary biliary cirrhosis). My problems started with an initial diagnosis of diverticulitis. I had extreme pain in the right side, but also pain in my back on both sides. The first round of antibiotics didn't work so I got a second round, then a third. Then they did a colonoscopy which confirmed the diverticulitis. I still had pain and diarrhea that went on for 3 months and they finally did a stool sample which showed that I had Clostridium difficile. After 14 days of Flagyl, I finally started feeling better. I lost 20 lb. rapidly during this time and am still losing. Blood tests showed abnormal liver enzymes and kidney levels. I had bloodwork every month with the last time being extensive and showed the PBC. I'm taking ursodiol 500 mg twice a day. Most recently I had a bladder infection 2 weeks ago and just called the doctor because I have another one. I only have one kidney so I am very concerned that the treatment of the PBC may cause damage to my kidney.