Lupus - Experience

Please describe your experience with lupus.

Please select the black triangle:

What is drug-induced lupus?

Dozens of medications have been reported to trigger SLE. However, more than 90% of cases of "drug-induced lupus" occurs as a side effect of one of the following six drugs: hydralazine (Apresoline) is used for high blood pressure; quinidine (Quinidine Gluconate, Quinidine Sulfate) and procainamide (Pronestyl; Procan-SR; Procanbid) are used for abnormal heart rhythms; phenytoin (Dilantin) is used for epilepsy; isoniazid (Nydrazid, Laniazid) is used for tuberculosis; and d-penicillamine (used for rheumatoid arthritis). These drugs are known to sometimes stimulate the immune system and cause SLE. Fortunately, drug-induced SLE is infrequent (accounting for less than 5% of all people with SLE) and it usually resolves when the medications are discontinued.

Return to Lupus

Comment from: kidsr1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

I have had lupus for 13 years. It took 4 years to diagnose it. My blood tests did not show the normal results for a positive lupus test but the doctor said let's try you on Plaquenil. I responded to the Plaquenil so we decided I have lupus. I was doing fine with no flare ups until last March when I was hospitalized for pain management. I now have a positive ANA and low C3 as well as a low Vitamin D. I have recently been struggling with severe hip muscle and knee pain. I am on steroids and I can"t seem to get an answer from any doctor to explain my severe pain in the knees and hips. My CRP does not indicate inflammation. I am looking to see if anybody has been able to receive a diagnosis for severe muscle pain without inflammation factors in the blood.

Comment from: Patient from Kosovo, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I would like to share my experience as a lupus patient. I was diagnosed on December 2012, they told me this came during my pregnancy. After 1 year, I decided to go through a very strong diet, which contains everything natural (vegetables and fruits) with the exception of meat and milk products such as cheese, yogurt, etc. At the same time I replaced all these foods with the vitamins. Now, ANA is decreasing and Anti DNA is better than the past. Also C3 is perfect. The doctor told me "you stopped the process" and I will happily say this diet was a success, I have no lupus anymore.