Dengue Fever - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?

Please select the black square:

What are dengue fever symptoms and signs?

After being bitten by a mosquito carrying the virus, the incubation period ranges from three to 15 (usually five to eight) days before the signs and symptoms of dengue appear in stages. Dengue starts with chills, headache, pain upon moving the eyes, appetite loss, feeling unwell (malaise), and low backache. Painful aching in the legs and joints occurs during the first hours of illness. The temperature rises quickly as high as 104 F (40 C), with relatively low heart rate (bradycardia) and low blood pressure (hypotension). The eyes become reddened. A flushing or pale pink rash comes over the face and then disappears. The lymph nodes in the neck and groin are often swollen.

High fever and other signs of dengue last for two to four days, followed by a rapid drop in body temperature (defervescence) with profuse sweating. This precedes a period with normal temperature and a sense of well-being that lasts about a day. A second rapid rise in temperature follows. A characteristic itchy rash (small red spots, called petechiae) appears along with the fever and spreads from the extremities to cover the entire body except the face. The palms and soles may be bright red and swollen.

Return to Dengue Fever

Comment from: Ash87, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

It is not a remedy but I've found that eating cooked pasta, plain without anything on it other than olive oil, is one of the easiest things to eat with strep. Soups and liquids hurt me more as I think they seep into any pus sores that are in the throat. And like my thick saliva, soups can be too thick to go down quickly, whereas pasta in olive oil just slips right down! I added some chopped up wafer thin ham just for a treat! Also green tea with some manuka honey stirred in, nothing beats manuka honey for the healing process of any disease or illness, and is quite soothing if you can get some liquids down into you.

Comment from: Julzamor, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

March of 2016 I started to experience a very fast heart beat and started to feel my blood pressure rise. I knew something was wrong so my boyfriend rushed me to the emergency room. They never told me how low my potassium was, just that I needed IV. I never had diarrhea or vomiting I was literally fine one minute and close to death the next. They guessed it was due to the diet pills I was using. July 2016 I woke up to my heart pounding but a few days before I remember my legs and arms just feeling locked up and hard to move. I chalked it up to tension because I had been stressed. I told them to check my levels and my potassium was 3.1; to most that doesn't seem very low but for my body it is, I just feel it. He gave me a supplement at the hospital and sent me home and told me to eat more bananas and drink orange juice. They didn't give me an answer as to why I had it, because I don't use diuretics, haven't had diarrhea or vomited, and I eat. They only thing I can figure is a week before I went to the emergency room with sore legs but had a potassium at 3.6. That doctor put me on 2 bags of saline and I think it washed it all out of me because I was swollen for 3 days them started to draw up. Be careful if the hospital wants to give you saline, it depletes potassium levels. Three days later legs are still sore but better. I am waiting to hear back from my doctor with lab tests to make sure it went back up!