Dengue Fever - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?

Please select the black triangle:

What are dengue fever symptoms and signs?

After being bitten by a mosquito carrying the virus, the incubation period ranges from three to 15 (usually five to eight) days before the signs and symptoms of dengue appear in stages. Dengue starts with chills, headache, pain upon moving the eyes, appetite loss, feeling unwell (malaise), and low backache. Painful aching in the legs and joints occurs during the first hours of illness. The temperature rises quickly as high as 104 F (40 C), with relatively low heart rate (bradycardia) and low blood pressure (hypotension). The eyes become reddened. A flushing or pale pink rash comes over the face and then disappears. The lymph nodes in the neck and groin are often swollen.

High fever and other signs of dengue last for two to four days, followed by a rapid drop in body temperature (defervescence) with profuse sweating. This precedes a period with normal temperature and a sense of well-being that lasts about a day. A second rapid rise in temperature follows. A characteristic itchy rash (small red spots, called petechiae) appears along with the fever and spreads from the extremities to cover the entire body except the face. The palms and soles may be bright red and swollen.

Return to Dengue Fever

Comment from: Kmadsen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

Despite using medications to prevent mosquito bite I was covered. Upon returning home from Guatemala, July 2013, I started to feel weak, and had lack of appetite and chills. Over the next week symptoms included itchy palms, fine itchy rash all over, head ache unrelieved by Tylenol, indescribable eyeball pain, and joint pain. My platelets and white count both dropped dramatically. I was not hospitalized but my doctor put me on house arrest. I was so immunosuppressed she worried about a secondary infection.

Comment from: Dwight, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I fainted while riding my bicycle and fell to the ground (of course). I was diagnosed with low electrolytes (hyponatremia).