Dengue Fever - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs did you experience with dengue fever?

Please select the white circle:

What are dengue fever symptoms and signs?

After being bitten by a mosquito carrying the virus, the incubation period ranges from three to 15 (usually five to eight) days before the signs and symptoms of dengue appear in stages. Dengue starts with chills, headache, pain upon moving the eyes, and low backache. Painful aching in the legs and joints occurs during the first hours of illness. The temperature rises quickly as high as 104 F (40 C), with relatively low heart rate (bradycardia) and low blood pressure (hypotension). The eyes become reddened. A flushing or pale pink rash comes over the face and then disappears. The glands (lymph nodes) in the neck and groin are often swollen.

Fever and other signs of dengue last for two to four days, followed by a rapid drop in body temperature (defervescence) with profuse sweating. This precedes a period with normal temperature and a sense of well-being that lasts about a day. A second rapid rise in temperature follows. A characteristic rash appears along with the fever and spreads from the extremities to cover the entire body except the face. The palms and soles may be bright red and swollen.

Return to Dengue Fever

Comment from: Woztj, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I just recently had dengue fever; I had high fever, excruciating pain behind the eyes and felt like had 2 broken legs and felt awful. I was hospitalized for 5 days, platelets went down to 48,000 and I had the swollen red hands and feet etc., seems like it can be worse for many. Now I am out of hospital but still struggling with intermittent fatigue, after reading some posts wish I had known about the papaya leaf use. I am still going to get some and try as I do not want to be fatigued on and off for weeks etc. I am surprised how long some people have said they suffered for, this worries me. In total it has been 2 weeks for me and I am back going to the gym etc., but is a real struggle, I feel weak and lethargic so much, I have to keep fighting it, but some days are tough!

Comment from: Godsgrace, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I suffered from this horrible illness. At first I thought I just had headaches but when I woke up at 4am with fever I knew something was wrong. The fever, headaches and the worst feeling ever lasted for about 4 days then the fever left, My platelet count was very low almost critical. I drank the juice of pawpaw leaves which is not quite any official medicine, but it is known that this can contribute to increasing white blood cells and platelet count. Also my body itched terribly and now I am in recovery mode. I have horrible dizzy spells and occasionally headaches. During the virus itself you have terrible back and eye pains but it eases up after a while. I don't wish this on my worst enemy.