(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

Is it possible to prevent Rocky Mountain spotted fever?

RMSF can be prevented by implementing the following precautionary measures that can help avoid tick bites:

• Wear long pants and long sleeves when walking or working outside, especially in wooded areas.
  • Use DEET-containing insect repellents.
  • Check yourself, family members, and pets for ticks after you have been outside in a high-risk area.
  • If a tick is found, proper removal of the tick is important. Removal of the tick should be performed with tweezers while wearing gloves. The tick should not be crushed, and care should be taken to ensure that the whole tick is removed while gently pulling the tick out.
  • If possible, keep the tick so that identification of the tick species can be established if necessary.
Return to Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF)

Comment from: Kymberly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I live in North Carolina. I contracted Rocky Mountain spotted fever (RMSF). It almost killed me because the diagnosis took so long. With 2 trips to the emergency room (ER) and 3 to my family physician. One resulting in a trip to the ER from my physician's office because I was allergic to the medicine for the RMSF. The ER physician sent me home again. It took my physician pre-admitting me to the hospital to get help. By this time I was almost dead. I spent a week in the hospital. Almost a month later I continue to have side effects from the RMSF. This is nothing to joke about. Better and more efficient testing needs to be available especially in the states where RMSF is prevalent.