(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What causes migraines?

The specific cause of migraines is not known, but there may be fluctuations in certain neurotransmitters, chemicals that send messages between brain cells. These changes may predispose some people to develop migraine headaches.

Return to Migraine Headache

Comment from: debd, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I started having monthly migraines after giving birth to my first child. The only time I didn't have them was when I was pregnant with my next two children. The migraines returned once I got my periods again. I went through all the OTC pain killers and anti-inflammatories, several prescription meds and many alternative methods. With a very strict diet there was some relief, but the slightest variation would cause a relapse. My migraines always included nausea and vomiting. Once the vomiting started, that indicated the point of no return and I would just have to ride it through for 3 to 5 days. This went on for 21 years. I finally found a godsend through my sister, who also suffered from migraines. She went to a doctor who suggested Indocid in a suppository form. Not so appealing to some, but it worked oral meds. Since taking these nine years ago, I think I've had three full migraines and now that I've reached menopause I rarely need to take them. Phew!

Comment from: kerri, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I've suffered from migraines for more than 20 years. Triggers include aspartame, rainy days and my period. I started taking high blood pressure medication, and now the migraines are gone. I still take amitriptyline every night.