(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What causes multiple sclerosis?

While multiple sclerosis is considered an autoimmune disorder, the exact cause hasn't yet been found. There are many theories regarding the reason that people develop MS; these theories range from vitamin D deficiency to a viral infection. Even consuming too much salt is being looked at as possible cause of multiple sclerosis. However, none of these theories have been proven, and the cause of multiple sclerosis remains unknown. Multiple sclerosis is not a contagious condition and cannot be passed from person to person.

Return to Multiple Sclerosis (MS Symptoms, Causes, and Life Expectancy)

Comment from: Patience, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 30

I think all our diseases that involve our nervous system is caused by chemicals that are sprayed in the air, on the ground and put in our foods. Chemicals that are not to be meant be consumed by human beings. I have a rare disease that leads back to pesticides and herbicides.

Comment from: nena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I was diagnosed in 1986, before symptoms started. I am a pianist, suddenly unable to open my hands wide enough to get 8 keys. Nobody in my family had MS, nor my grandparents. Now a cousin younger than me has MS, she is 40. I have primary progressive MS. I do not walk for the last 18 years, I was born in 1952. I have had 6 strokes and 1 heart attack.

Comment from: mashaddy, 45-54 Female Published: February 18

Yes my ex-husband was diagnosed with MS and died after 7 years.