(Optional)

Gender of Patient:Male Female

What is a sty (stye)?

A sty is a bump that forms on or in the lower or upper eyelid as the result of a blocked gland. The word "sty" can also be spelled "stye."

Return to Sty

Comment from: JJ, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I noticed a stye following the holidays. Perhaps stress related. It quickly transferred to my other eye. I went to an ophthalmologist who was shocked when he saw me. In addition to two sties I had cellulitis. He felt it was caused from old mascara. He treated me with an oral antibiotic and antibiotic eye drops. He also told me that if the largest stye ruptured I was to call him immediately as this indicated an emergency and required cleaning out and curettage. I'm so glad I sought professional help. After day 4 I am still not able to be seen in public. There is still swelling plus the redness has now encircled one eye. My advice is to seek professional help.

Comment from: jessica, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 28

I am 19 years old. I have been getting stye since I was 13 years old. I was not aware about stye but I used to wrap a boiled egg with a piece of cloth and press it in the affected area. It used to relieve my pain. Then it used to go within 3 to 4 days. It used to occur rarely, but now it occurs every few months. I did not know its causes but now I guess it was due to stress. It pops out whenever there is anything important such as during my college programs, exams or any other function. It makes me look sick and I don't feel energetic. This is my experience with stye and I hope I stop getting it again.

Comment from: dorisjp42, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

I recently went to the eye doctor for a stye that has persisted since July. I think it is making me physically ill. The eye doctor said to use the compresses because this forces the white blood cells to the infected area. You must be persistent. He also prescribed a small dose of doxycycline. As painful and frustrating as they are, I have lived with them my whole life, and I'm 44 now. Ask your doctor about the right treatment. If you feel you are not getting the treatment you need, go elsewhere.