Headache - Symptoms

What symptoms do you experience with your headaches?

Please select the black triangle:

What are the symptoms of cluster headaches?

Cluster headaches are headaches that come in groups (clusters) separated by pain-free periods of months or years. A patient may experience a headache on a daily basis for weeks or months and then be pain free for years. This type of headache affects males more frequently and often begins in adolescence but can extend to those in middle age.

• During the period in which the cluster headaches occur, pain typically occurs once or twice daily, but some patients may experience pain more than twice daily.
  • Each episode of pain lasts from 30 to 90 minutes.
  • Attacks tend to occur at about the same time every day and often awaken the patient at night from a sound sleep.
  • The pain typically is excruciating and located around or behind one eye.
  • Some patients describe the pain as feeling like a hot poker in the eye. The affected eye may become red, inflamed, and watery.
  • The nose on the affected side may become congested and runny.

Unlike patients with migraine headaches, patients with cluster headaches tend to be restless. They often pace the floor, bang their heads against a wall, and patients can be driven to desperate measures including contemplating suicide.

Return to Headache

Comment from: Kevin, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I have headaches every day. A few years ago I received a skull fracture, in my 40s. I have had a few falls when working as well. I have had a few problems with back muscles but have had those sorted when required. I also have had a small brain bleed and have seen a specialist but nothing has changed with medication. Pain killer is all that I take for the headaches. My blood pressure is fine.

Comment from: CM, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 24

I am 19 years old. I've been experiencing headache for 8 years; so almost half of my life. I vomit every time I have this illness, I feel pain usually at one side of my head and in my eyebrows. I don't want to see lights because my eyes hurts. I have no appetite and I can't sleep because I am totally disturbed by the pain.