Homocysteine - Lowering Levels

What supplements or other lifestyle changes have you found effective in lowering your elevated homocysteine levels?

Please select the white circle:

How can homocysteine levels be lowered?

The consumption of folic acid supplements or cereals that are fortified with folic acid, and to a lesser extent vitamins B6 and B12, can lower blood homocysteine levels. These supplements may even be beneficial in people with mild genetic hyperhomocysteinemia to lower their homocysteine levels. However, it is noteworthy that so far there is no compelling data to support the treatment of hyperhomocysteinemia for prevention of heart disease or treatment of known heart disease or blood clots. Homocysteine levels are not routinely measured in indivduals with heart disease (atherosclerosis) or other diseases.

Return to Homocysteine (Elevated Homocysteine, Homocystinuria, Hyperhomocysteinemia)

Comment from: Andy, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 04

My homocysteine levels were through the roof four years after my heart attack and stent implant. I changed my lifestyle to a totally raw vegan and found myself an amazing holistic doctor who within 10 minutes asked what my homocysteine levels were when I had my heart attack. Six years on I don't take any heart medication and have replaced them with a vegan lifestyle and regular B12, B6, and B9, plus folic acid. I've also learnt about my body and make my own medical choices.

Comment from: Kevin, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

I found that methyl folate lowered my homocysteine levels from 27 to 14 in 6 weeks.