Brain Tumor - Types

Please describe the type of brain tumor you have.

What are the tumor grades and types?

When most normal cells grow old or get damaged, they die, and new cells take their place. Sometimes, this process goes wrong. New cells form when the body doesn't need them, and old or damaged cells don't die as they should. The buildup of extra cells often forms a mass of tissue called a growth or tumor.

Primary brain tumors can be benign or malignant:

Benign brain tumors do not contain cancer cells:

• Usually, benign tumors can be removed, and they seldom grow back.
  • Benign brain tumors usually have an obvious border or edge. Cells from benign tumors rarely invade tissues around them. They don't spread to other parts of the body. However, benign tumors can press on sensitive areas of the brain and cause serious health problems.
  • Unlike benign tumors in most other parts of the body, benign brain tumors are sometimes life threatening.
  • Benign brain tumors may become malignant.

Malignant brain tumors (also called brain cancer) contain cancer cells:

• Malignant brain tumors are generally more serious and often are a threat to life.
  • They are likely to grow rapidly and crowd or invade the nearby healthy brain tissue.
  • Cancer cells may break away from malignant brain tumors and spread to other parts of the brain or to the spinal cord. They rarely spread to other parts of the body.
Return to Brain Tumor

Comment from: Wendi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I have a benign intraventricular tumor in my third ventricle that is now 22 mm. I almost always have a headache and have no appetite, I have lost 50 pounds which is good as I was overweight. I cannot work and feel rather confused. I do not know how much longer I can wait to have it removed, it is still not blocking spinal fluid flow. It is definitely affecting my quality of life.

Comment from: Fbwill88, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I was at work when I became dizzy and my handwriting changed. I went to emergency room 3 times, and after a 2nd MRI showed fast growing brain tumor, I was sent to another hospital. I had 2 biopsies which showed benign fast growing tumor around pons, brain stem and cerebellum. Now I have left sided weakness, vision problems and dizziness. But I am glad to be alive and believe I am improving slowly. It's a shock because I was so healthy before all of this. Humbling, as I need help for showering, cooking, cleaning, etc.