Brain Tumor - Types

Please describe the type of brain tumor you have.

Please select the white circle:

What are the tumor grades and types?

When most normal cells grow old or get damaged, they die, and new cells take their place. Sometimes, this process goes wrong. New cells form when the body doesn't need them, and old or damaged cells don't die as they should. The buildup of extra cells often forms a mass of tissue called a growth or tumor.

Primary brain tumors can be benign or malignant:

Benign brain tumors do not contain cancer cells:

• Usually, benign tumors can be removed, and they seldom grow back.
  • Benign brain tumors usually have an obvious border or edge. Cells from benign tumors rarely invade tissues around them. They don't spread to other parts of the body. However, benign tumors can press on sensitive areas of the brain and cause serious health problems.
  • Unlike benign tumors in most other parts of the body, benign brain tumors are sometimes life threatening.
  • Benign brain tumors may become malignant.

Malignant brain tumors (also called brain cancer) contain cancer cells:

• Malignant brain tumors are generally more serious and often are a threat to life.
  • They are likely to grow rapidly and crowd or invade the nearby healthy brain tissue.
  • Cancer cells may break away from malignant brain tumors and spread to other parts of the brain or to the spinal cord. They rarely spread to other parts of the body.
Return to Brain Tumor

Comment from: Fbwill88, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I was at work when I became dizzy and my handwriting changed. I went to emergency room 3 times, and after a 2nd MRI showed fast growing brain tumor, I was sent to another hospital. I had 2 biopsies which showed benign fast growing tumor around pons, brain stem and cerebellum. Now I have left sided weakness, vision problems and dizziness. But I am glad to be alive and believe I am improving slowly. It's a shock because I was so healthy before all of this. Humbling, as I need help for showering, cooking, cleaning, etc.

Comment from: Al Gorithm, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I endured an awful weekend with fever, pain and general malaise. This morning I noticed a white spot on my gum. I barely touched the spot with a needle and foul pus erupted. I got almost immediate relief from the pressure and pain. Later the fever subsided and I felt much better. I didn't know that what I had was a dental abscess. I fear I'm going to lose the tooth but I won't know for sure until I see my dentist. Draining the abscess may not have been the right thing to do so don't use my example as what should be done.