Lower Back Pain - Exercises

What stretches and exercises have helped with your lower back pain?

Low back pain facts

• Functions of the low back, or lumbar area, include structural support, movement, and protection of certain body tissues.
  • Pain in the low back can relate to the bony lumbar spine, discs between the vertebrae, ligaments around the spine and discs, spinal cord and nerves, muscles of the low back, internal organs of the pelvis and abdomen, and the skin covering the lumbar area.
  • Treatment of low back pain is optimally directed toward a diagnosed or suspected specific cause. For acute lumbar strain, use of a home remedy initially can be beneficial.
Return to Lower Back Pain

Comment from: Haseeb, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

I have suffered from a severe back pain that went from waist to my right leg after suffering from dengue. I vomited almost 30 to 40 times in 3 days during vomiting. When my stomach was empty vomiting came. Nothing came out but those jerks were so intense that they were like somebody hit me with a bat. I was free from dengue after 7 days. On 9th day I had a severe pain. I was unable to sit or walk. I was screaming, even went in emergency one night and I was admitted due to pain and my x-rays+MRI were clear. One of the doctors gave me a treatment after two weeks. He injected steroids. I am fine. My pain is gone, but I want to know that whether this steroid will effect permanently or temporarily because we can't say anything to docs in Pakistan. They do what they want to do. Please tell me. I don't want my pain to start again. Doc told me it's some kind of ligament strain due to excessive vomiting.

Comment from: jallyndc, Male (Caregiver) Published: January 31

Most 'authorities' will tell you that you must strengthen your 'core muscles'. They will not instruct you to stretch these muscles. But think logically for a moment... over time our core muscles shorten due to repetitive forward posture and strain. In the absence of facet syndrome, you need to STRETCH core muscles and hip flexors. One of the MOST important hip flexor is your Psoas Major. Also, although the quadriceps muscle group does not function primarily in hip flexion, it does assist. Make sure you 'quads' are NOT shortened and painful. Your h.c. professional can help you implement passive and active stretching protocols.