Kidney Pain - Causes

What was the disease or condition that caused your kidney pain?

What are some of the kidney conditions and diseases that cause kidney pain?

Many of the causes of kidney disease that leads to kidney pain (also termed flank pain) are due to acquired underlying diseases that may acutely or chronically affect kidney function. Other diseases are present at birth. Some people may be born with an abnormality that is genetically determined that affects the kidneys.

Kidney pain or flank pain can be acute, relatively constant, and sharp. This is termed "renal colic." This kind of pain is usually seen when a kidney stone or other problem blocks the tube (ureter) that drains the kidney. However, other processes can cause chronic dull aching with occasionally sharp kidney pain. Some of the causes of kidney pain or flank pain are as follows:

• Urinary tract infections
  • Kidney infections
  • Kidney stones
  • Kidney cancer
  • Glomerulonephritis
  • Blood clots in the kidneys (renal vein thrombosis)
  • Polycystic kidney disease (congenital)
  • Congenital malformations in the renal system resulting in complete or partial blockage of urine flow
  • Drugs or toxins that harm kidney tissue (for example, pesticide exposure or chronic use of medications such as ibuprofen [Advil, Motrin, and others])
  • Kidney pain during pregnancy
  • Kidney bleeding (hemorrhage)
  • End stage renal disease
Return to Kidney Pain

Comment from: Susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I went for an ultrasound today and the technician, asked me to take a deep breath in and hold it. She did this a lot (right kidney) and then asked me to lie on my left side and did the same, take a breath in and hold it. She said that I don't have kidney stones or a cyst nor do I have gallstones, but there was something and she told me to wait for the report and told me not to worry about it.

Comment from: James, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 22

I had prostate removed about 3 1/2 months ago and have gradually been having a bit more difficulty urinating. I have to force urine out once it stops flowing and my stream has reduced its flow the last couple weeks. Seems to be about the same the last three weeks; certainly not a good flow. Now I have a slight pain on the right side of my back to the right of my spine about 1/3 of way up my back.