Appendectomy - Experience

Please share your experience with appendectomy.

What is appendectomy?

Appendectomy is the surgical removal of the appendix. This procedure is most often performed as an emergency operation. In some patients undergoing abdominal surgery for another reason, may have their appendix removed prophylactically so that appendicitis does not develop in the future; this option can be discussed with your surgeon.

Appendicitis Picture - Inflammation of the Appendix
Appendicitis Picture - Inflammation of the Appendix

Return to Appendectomy

Comment from: Ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I am a 64 year old healthy female who exercise 4 to 5 times a week. I am not overweight. Stomach pain began at 8 am and grew better and worse through the day. By 6 pm pain greatly increased and localized in lower right abdomen. I did not have a fever. I had vomited around noon after eating some rice. I went to the emergency care clinic and received immediate attention. After urine and blood tests, plus a CT scan, I was diagnosed with acute appendicitis. It was not perforated. I was transported to hospital and the appendectomy surgery was the following day. I had the laparoscopic removal. I went home the following day. I am nearly 2 weeks out from surgery and beginning to feel like my old self. My digestive tract is not normal yet, but I am eating and drinking normally, although smaller portions. I have been gluten and dairy free for 15 years. I do drink alcohol, so not eating these could have helped for a speedier recovery. I still have tenderness around the incisions, persistent dry cough (I do not smoke), and a gassy feel in my abdomen. I do get the hiccups a lot and burp a lot. All of these are normal according to my doctor.

Comment from: Linda A, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I am 70 years old. I started having vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain across my midsection. Very intense pain. This was Saturday and by Sunday the pain was worse, and vomiting under control. I thought I had diverticulitis. I took a Cipro and began to feel better by evening. Monday I called the doctor and they couldn't fit me in until Tuesday (staff makes these decisions). He found blood in urine and sent me for a scan. Long story short, that afternoon I had appendectomy. I always have breathing difficulty after surgery. But this time was bad and I was told everything was fine. I coughed for a week after. Breathing problems never left, just got less. But I had to sleep in a recliner since the surgery. I have just been told I have inflammation in my lungs, possibly caused by surgery. I have suffered so much.