Appendectomy - Experience

Please share your experience with appendectomy.

Please select the black square:

What is appendectomy?

Appendectomy is the surgical removal of the appendix. This procedure is most often performed as an emergency operation. In some patients undergoing abdominal surgery for another reason, may have their appendix removed prophylactically so that appendicitis does not develop in the future; this option can be discussed with your surgeon.

Appendicitis Picture - Inflammation of the Appendix
Appendicitis Picture - Inflammation of the Appendix

Return to Appendectomy

Comment from: KDMALM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I had my appendix removed laparoscopically on Thursday and have been feeling great since Saturday. Barely any pain and last took a pain killer on Friday morning. I hope recovery keeps going as is!

Comment from: Czech-mate, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

Around 10 pm on a Sunday night I developed quite a sore stomach above my navel and across my abdomen. To me it felt like some disagreeable food or the onset of gastroenteritis. I felt like I needed to pass wind or go to the toilet but was unable to. After a sleepless night I finally went to the hospital at 5 am. Thankfully, casualty was really quiet and I saw a doctor almost immediately. By this time the pain was considerably worse. I had an ultrasound, x-ray, urine sample, rectal swipe and examination. I then had to wait on a chair in the deserted waiting room. Now the pain was increasing and I tried to lie down across a few chairs. Upon seeing this, I was promptly taken to a bed and reexamined. The pain on my lower right side was now noticeable and although not excruciating quite sharp when prodded by the doctor. Not long after, I was diagnosed with appendicitis and scheduled for surgery. At 3 pm that day, I went under. I had a normal surgery. Accounts of laparoscopic surgery here sound awful so I am glad I had a normal one. I awoke oblivious to what had happened back in my room! I was quite sore and unable to lie on either side for the first two days. Now it is Thursday afternoon and I am feeling much better, well on the way to recovery. I have to avoid strenuous exercise for at least 4 weeks and also must follow a strict diet for 4 weeks. I have had checkups already scheduled.