Lower Back Pain - Effective Treatments

What kinds of treatment have been effective for your lower back pain?

Please select the black square:

What is the treatment for low back pain?

So, how is low back pain treated? Well, as described above, the treatment very much depends on the precise cause of the low back pain. Moreover, each patient must be individually evaluated and managed in the context of the underlying background health status and activity level.

As has been highlighted by research presented at the national meeting of the American College of Rheumatology, a very important aspect of the individual evaluation is the patient's own perception of their particular situation. British researchers found that those who believed that their symptoms had serious consequences on their lives and that they had, or treatments had, little control over their symptoms were more likely to have a poor outcome. This research points out to physicians the importance of addressing the concerns and perceptions that patients have about their condition during the initial evaluations.

Finally, it should be noted that the conditions listed above are intended for general review. There are many other causes of back pain, including upper back pain, that have not been discussed.

Return to Lower Back Pain

Comment from: JCR, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 18

I know how horrible chronic back pain can be. I have had debilitating pain for seven years due to a car accident. I have been to various doctors and done physical therapy. Stretches work when I am sore, but sometimes the pain is so intense that I can hardly get out of bed. I have even had to take days or weeks off of work due to the pain. I have been living in Barcelona for the past five years. It is here I found a doctor who finally really listened to my symptoms and understood my problem. Other doctors had mentioned surgery, but my doctor didn't think that I would improve with surgery. Instead he offered me a less invasive treatment, cortisone injections in some joints of my spine, called facet joints. His work was seriously life changing! I haven't felt so normal since before my back issues began. Even if you have to pay for a flight and a few nights of a hotel, it would be worth it to finally relieve the pain! Another major perk is that medical costs in Barcelona are exponentially less expensive than they are in the States, especially if you are under or uninsured. Good luck with your journey to recovery!

Comment from: JCR, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I know how horrible chronic back pain can be. After a car accident, I had debilitating pain for seven years. I had been to various doctors and done physical therapy throughout that time period. Stretches worked when I was sore, but sometimes the pain was so intense that I could hardly get out of bed. I have even had to take days or weeks off of work due to the pain. I have been living in Barcelona for the past five years. It's here where I found a doctor who finally really listened to my symptoms and understood my problem. Other doctors had mentioned surgery, but my doctor didn't think that I would improve with surgery. Instead he offered me a less invasive treatment, cortisone injections in some joints of my spine called facet joints. His work was seriously life changing! I haven't felt so normal since before my back issues began. Even if you have to pay for a flight and a few nights of a hotel, it would be worth it to finally relieve the pain! Another major perk is that medical costs in Barcelona are exponentially less expensive than they are in the States, especially if you are under or uninsured, and many doctors, like mine, are fluent in English. I have been pain free for more than a year and I couldn't be more grateful.